Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging 3.13.1 Released To Fix StarCraft 2

Phoronix: Wine-Staging 3.13.1 Released To Fix StarCraft 2

With no Wine 3.14 release having shipped on their usual bi-weekly release cadence due to summer holidays, the Wine-Staging crew has opted to create a v3.13.1 release to ship their latest testing/experimental patches in the absence of a new Wine upstream Wine development release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Titanfall*

Comment

why can't blizzard just port their stuff to linux. hearthstone runs on unity ffs.

Comment

This also appears to have fixed a regression in 3.13 where GTA 5 would not load past the police siren intro (from my testing: 3.12 works, 3.13 does not, 3.13.1 works again)

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
          why can't blizzard just port their stuff to linux. hearthstone runs on unity ffs.
          They can, they just don't want to.

Comment

A few months ago we were saying goodbye to the wine-staging guys wishing them well and preparing to cope without their contributions to WINE. Now the WINE guys are running a little behind and the staging folks are standing up to fix a regressions. Kudos to both teams, thanks again to the people who took over staging and and always big atta-boys for the WINE people.

Regressions, delayed code ports, it's all still better than having to deal with Windows 10.

Comment

I've been following these WINE posts for a while and am wondering a few things.

If I use this to play my (Steam) games, does that mean I MUST run the Windows version of Steam?

I've read that Steam sales are monitored for a short bit after purchase, to see what platform the game is being used on, to log the sale to that platform. If Linux users are using WINE to use the Windows version of Steam to have access to their full games library, wouldn't that make Valve log all of that users' game play as a Windows user instead of a Linux user?

If I'm using WINE and Windows version of Steam, am I correct to assume that all VAC games are off limits due to redirection by WINE on the host?

On an unrelated note, what about the Linux Steam Integration stuff from the Solus distro that is at least available for AUR on Arch based distros. Does using that make you vulnerable to VAC bans?

Last edited by x4mer; 05 August 2018, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by x4mer View Post
                If I use this to play my (Steam) games, does that mean I MUST run the Windows version of Steam?

I've read that Steam sales are monitored for a short bit after purchase, to see what platform the game is being used on, to log the sale to that platform. If Linux users are using WINE to use the Windows version of Steam to have access to their full games library, wouldn't that make Valve log all of that users' game play as a Windows user instead of a Linux user?
                Personally, the only steam game I play which is not GNU/Linux compatible is Age Of Empires II. I went the easy way and installed steam twice on my machine, once natively with the deb package, and there all my games are installed and that's the one I mainly use, and another one with wine for running AoE. That's the way to go as it both shows you use Linux and is way easier to run steam without wine (which often have regressions).

As for the way steam is recording usage of wine well, I have no idea if they note that it's not a real windows or not.

Comment

I don't get this battle.net crash anymore, cool, this bug must have been there for years. Would be great now, if Diablo 3 runs in 64bit mode and DX11, then I could use DXVK :-)

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                    I don't get this battle.net crash anymore, cool, this bug must have been there for years. Would be great now, if Diablo 3 runs in 64bit mode and DX11, then I could use DXVK :-)
                    Diablo 3 has been runnable in 64 bit mode, DX11 and DXVK for quite some time now.
                    I tried that combo out months ago and it worked nicely.

Here is an optimized build for that: https://lutris.net/games/diablo-iii/

Comment

Working...
                    X