Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.18 Lands Random Patch To Fix Slow Boot Times For Some Systemd-Based Boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.18 Lands Random Patch To Fix Slow Boot Times For Some Systemd-Based Boxes

Phoronix: Linux 4.18 Lands Random Patch To Fix Slow Boot Times For Some Systemd-Based Boxes

Last week I wrote about a change for the Linux kernel would better protect entropy sent in from user-space as a change driven as a result of some Linux distributions (such as Fedora) using a CPU jitter random number generator to resolve the lack of entropy at boot time and that on systemd-enabled Linux systems sometimes leading to slow boot times. That change has now ended up being queued into Linux 4.18 rather than having to wait for 4.19...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

again, another work around to systemd, what a beautiful software /s

Comment

Originally posted by trek View Post
      again, another work around to systemd, what a beautiful software /s
      again, more anti-systemd bullshit on phoronix..

Comment

Some people don't like systemd, deal with it.

This doesn't only affect systemd, it also affects lightdm.

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
          It doesn't mean they can spread imaginary bullshit all around.

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
            Some people don't like systemd, deal with it.

sure, it's just that systemd haters always spread nonsense without knowing what they are talking about..

Comment

some people know what SystemD is as an initiative (mind share grab) and it's complete inadequacies. And prefer real choice and simplicity. I don't mind waiting a few extra seconds of boot time. I also don't mind flipping the bird to blind followers of power grabs.

Comment

The rdrand instruction is great, and it's not just for kernel use: any (user) application that wants quality random numbers in a performance manner should definitely use it.

This article is a bit paranoid. I wonder if you guys realize any user can write to /dev/urandom to "mix it" it with arbitrary data? That's because mixing data into it cannot ever be worse off, it can only improve it. Mixing data like only zeros won't increase the randomness, but it won't degrade it either, so it's safe.

Drop your tin foil hats. The kernel is open source anyway, if Intel really wanted to mess up with the random generator in Linux via some CPU backdoor, they can easily do it in the hardware without you noticing. No need to do it in convoluted ways with rdrand.

Comment

This is non sense! Offer up one piece of software that is an example of perfection. If the kernel was perfect developers would not be working on it now. Same thing goes for user land apps all of which get bug fixes, feature updates or general improvements from time to time.

You may not like SystemD but you don't have to use it. Just like you don't have to use Python, Rust, Vim, sed, (the file system of your choice) or any other of the numerous options that can go into a Linux distro.

I mentioned the file system of your choice because tgere are so many to choose from. As such a distro or even a single installation can be tailored to a users needs. That is what Linux is all about, why SystemD gets such abuse is beyond me. Its high adoption rate indicates to me more good than bad.

Originally posted by pcxmac View Post
                  some people know what SystemD is as an initiative (mind share grab) and it's complete inadequacies. And prefer real choice and simplicity. I don't mind waiting a few extra seconds of boot time. I also don't mind flipping the bird to blind followers of power grabs.

Comment

Shower thought: If systemd is part of an intelligence op designed to get more control over and weaken the security of GNU/Linux systems (a popular refuge from the already compromised Windows operating systems), then what we might expect to see over time is:
                    1. Little or no effort made to standardize systemd APIs, or constantly evolving API standards that are hard to keep up with. This would make it hard to make competing compatible implementations.
                    2. Increasing the scope of systemd in order to make removal / replacement / opt-out of it harder and harder. This would make it more likely that targets (people who are trying to escape surveillance) will be using machines with known weaknesses (known to the intelligence groups).
                    3. Use of dominant market position to implement changes without much consideration of other projects attempting to remain compatible or offering alternatives.
                    4. Increased Integration of systemd with the kernel and the kernel with systemd, such that eventually 'reasons' can be presented for moving kernel functions into user space (into systemd).
                    5. Increasing complexity of systemd over time so that security sensitive bugs are more likely to naturally occur and so deliberately created bugs can more plausibly be blamed on being an oversight when changing a complex system.
                    6. Use of the usual tactics: e.g. suggest unsafe defaults for 'reasons' (but really because u know the defaults will likely get used making users vulnerable).
                    I don't know if this is has happened, is happening or will happen.

For those of you who are aware of the kind of shady stuff going on constantly, it's something to keep an eye out for.

Pretty sure some narrow, polarised minds will be triggered by my post. Go nuts!

Comment

Working...
                    X