• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waxhead
    replied
    Originally posted by arokh View Post
    You mean like libarchive?
    Hmmm, perhaps! libarchive looks nice from a initial point of view.

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied
    Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

Linux could do that. Then someone would have to go around to every program and patch it to use the library. That would be a lot of effort for not much gain.
    You would not HAVE to go around and patch every program, but if you patch a program or two these programs would instantly benefit from being able to handle lots of archive formats transparently.

Leave a comment:

• arokh
    replied
    You mean like libarchive?

Leave a comment:

• Zan Lynx
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

They still work fine on the newest AmigaOS, 4.1, and will continue to work on future releases (4.2, etc.) as well But I know what you mean: I really wish Linux had those.
    Linux could do that. Then someone would have to go around to every program and patch it to use the library. That would be a lot of effort for not much gain.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by waxhead View Post
    I really miss the XPK libraries from the good old Amiga times. One general interface to compression and all compressors and decompressors was plugins that was stored in a directory. This means that your 10 year old program could easily support a modern packer once available as all the program needed to support was XPK. I wish that more people saw the genius of the old days.
    They still work fine on the newest AmigaOS, 4.1, and will continue to work on future releases (4.2, etc.) as well But I know what you mean: I really wish Linux had those.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by scix View Post

It's supported since 4.18-rc1. You also need a recent version of util-linux.
    That's great, but what do you need util-linux for? I setup my zram devices purely with /sys, do I still need util-linux?

Leave a comment:

• scix
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    This would be good for zram (4k pages), if it actually supported zstd, I don't know why they can't just add it to the crypto API.
    It's supported since 4.18-rc1. You also need a recent version of util-linux.

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied
    I really miss the XPK libraries from the good old Amiga times. One general interface to compression and all compressors and decompressors was plugins that was stored in a directory. This means that your 10 year old program could easily support a modern packer once available as all the program needed to support was XPK. I wish that more people saw the genius of the old days.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    This would be good for zram (4k pages), if it actually supported zstd, I don't know why they can't just add it to the crypto API.

Leave a comment:

• treba
    replied
    I'd love to see btrfs benchmarks. 1.3.4 and 1.3.5 both brought big performance improvements, so probably the numbers changed quite a bit from the last one

Leave a comment:

Working...
X