Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Kernel May Soon Default To SCSI MQ Mode

Phoronix: The Linux Kernel May Soon Default To SCSI MQ Mode

It looks like the Linux kernel's SCSI code may soon switch away from its legacy code-path to the multi-queue (MQ) code by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this will be a welcome change, and it will make my kernel boot command line smaller

Comment

What will be the default scheduler?

Comment

Unless someone changes it, it will be "none." But they should do like the current system and introduce a build configuration. For example, the current IO scheduler has this setting:
        Code:
        CONFIG_DEFAULT_IOSCHED="cfq"
        So there should be an equivalent
        Code:
        CONFIG_MQ_DEFAULT_IOSCHED="bfq"

Comment

So, will this affect all devices with names like /dev/sda ? In other words, I assume we're not just talking about SAS, but also SATA?

Comment

Yes. SATA, SCSI, USB.

Comment

So, did they fix the spinning rust issues? This would be a nice default feature for my future storage which I like to run on matured kernels.
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                So, did they fix the spinning rust issues? This would be a nice default feature for my future storage which I like to run on matured kernels.
                The last sentence sure sounds like it:
                "It has been more than one year since we tried to change the default from legacy to multi queue in SCSI. Back then we had to retract the change because of performance issues with rotating disks. In the meantime there have been a substantial amount of performance improvements, thus we can re-enable scsi-mq without a significant performance penalty."

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  The last sentence sure sounds like it:
                  No it doesn't. It's possibly implying that, but doesn't state specifically rotating drives received that performance fix.
                  Hi

Comment

Working...
                  X