Reiser4 File-System Benchmarks With Linux 4.17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
    Every time I see news about reiser all that comes to mind is that it was developed by a murderer...
    I just read the Reiser comments for the killer puns.

Comment

The only thing I'd use Reiser4 for is a postfix mqueue. For that, it's brilliant. It used to have a huge advantage. Now EXT4 and XFS have zero-copy and extents which kick Reiser4 for throughput per CPU usage as well as reducing memory usage. I still have a hard time recommending BTRFS unless you really need the fine-grained snapshots, or have talked yourself into believing that the software data checksums are somehow better than the hardware checksums already performed by the storage device, controller, and driver. Myself, meh, I'm happy with the 4 billion to one chance of corruption above and beyond the error-correcting headroom above the Shannon Limit for the media, and so long as the driver agrees with the interface, I'm happy to believe the data came back verbatim. If you're running your Enterprise SAP on a USB thumbdrive without those hardware guarantees, then fill your boots with BTRFS lol.

Comment

Every time I see news about reiser all that comes to mind is that it was developed by a murderer...
        Have you seen it personally? The whole motive why all things happen? If not, you cannot judge only a final step, some other "Gods" did it already.
        In many cases approved aggression comes only from male to female, but now in most cases female is provoking it by "invalid argument" and so on
        And that some person was selfish and wanted attention to herself, I would say so, that lead to some fatal activity in Reisers family life... and that's so pity!
        Like the water drop constantly falling on a rock would make a hole in it? No, we need additional factors, like wind, temp, seasons, day and night and others...

To author: Please take in consideration that Reiser4 was here many years before any ext4 and others came to the game.
        Also I understand a point of author, that tests were done for end user usability performance, but please also mention, how much info you can put on FS of text and other type.
        Also how it would work after power-loss during write (ext4 do not survive, I had it 3 times on my laptop). XFS and Reiser4 no issues so far even on constant power-loss . ZFS - had issues but removing cache, saved my day.

Comment

Don't troll, your post it's stupid. This is about technology, not about yellow press.

Comment

Thanks for those, Mick. Interesting notes in comments regarding the compression etc affecting a proper bench run however. Is anyone able to provide a PTS link to their own reiser4 tests with a more even comparative surface?

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
              I was astonished about Btrfs. Did it get faster?
              Yes, somewhat, although there was a huge increase in delete speed recently.

Comment

The more the reason to expect it to deliver killer benchmark results.

Comment

Working...
                X