Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser4 File-System Benchmarks With Linux 4.17

Phoronix: Reiser4 File-System Benchmarks With Linux 4.17

It's been about three years since last carrying out any file-system performance benchmarks of Reiser4, but being curious how it stacks up against the current state of today's mainline Linux file-systems, here are some fresh performance tests of Reiser4 using the Linux 4.17 kernel. The Reiser4 performance was compared to Reiserfs, EXT4, Btrfs, XFS, and F2FS.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=26501

Looking at both the read and write BlogBench 1.0 tests I would bet there is something weird going on. EXT4 slowest at read and fast at write and ReiserFS vice vesa?

Comment

And this for a SSD. I wouln't be surprised to see a completely different outcome with as HDD.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        In the case of Dbench with six threads, Reiser4 was the slowest although F2FS in this workload wasn't much faste.r

Comment

I'd also like to see benchmarks on spinning disks, on SSDs it get murdered by the competition across the board,although it did kill ext4 in a couple which shows it's conviction.

Comment

I think Reiser4 only makes sense where Btrfs makes sense (to use and compare against), which is where transparent compression is used.
            On my SSD, in my daily use use-case I use transparent compression to increase drive longevity, it's already fast enough. More specific workloads require filesystem tweaking anyway, so comparing defaults may not show full picture.

Comment

I was astonished about Btrfs. Did it get faster?

Comment

Michel, mkfs.reiser4 create=reg40 /dev....

Else it enable compression par default, what the other fs dont..

Comment

As usual with these benchmarks there are some discussion about options:
                  1. BTRFS had COW enabled, Reiser4 did not (use txmod=wa to enable it, you get much more IOPS that way);
                  2. Reiser4 had compression enabled (create partition with create=reg40 to disable it), others didn't.

Comment

Every time I see news about reiser all that comes to mind is that it was developed by a murderer...

Comment

Working...
                    X