Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser4 Ported To The Linux 4.17 Kernel

Phoronix: Resier4 Ported To The Linux 4.17 Kernel

For those still holding out hope for the Reiser4 file-system, it's now been ported to work with the Linux 4.17 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo Resier4 --> Reiser4

Comment

Given that Reiser4 never got too widespread use I wonder why they still keep re-basing it, just for fun?

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
        Given that Reiser4 never got too widespread use I wonder why they still keep re-basing it, just for fun?
        My guess would be that someone is using it in a production environment and have thus deemed it worth their time to re-base it for newer kernel versions even if it's probably never going to get accepted to mainline.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
          My guess would be that someone is using it in a production environment and have thus deemed it worth their time to re-base it for newer kernel versions even if it's probably never going to get accepted to mainline.
          They are using reiser4 in production environments where they need to update the kernel with a so tight schedule?

Dunno, but I doubt someone is running this on webservers or other expendable types of servers.

Comment

This filesystem has some killer features, though... And if it's not a huge burden to keep current, why give existing users the axe? It still murders btrfs in a lot of benchmarks.

Comment

At work a colleague of mine actually currently needs to exchange the storage engine of some in-house developed software for the reason that while it performed great on reiser3, the operators are no longer happy to host reiser3-capable kernels, and for the particular workload the old storage engine produces (lots of small files...) every contemporary file-system performs much worse.

Comment

I've still got an old laptop drive in an external USB enclosure with Reiser4 formatting. I guess I should see if it still works and copy everything off of it.

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
                  It still murders btrfs in a lot of benchmarks.
                  You sick puppy 8-D
                  Hi

Comment

stiiixy I used nothing but Reiser4 back in the day. funny squash mentioned murder cause the guy who actually developed it murdered his wife. People in the comments using the words murder and killer. Bizarre. Obviously you guys knew about it though.

Reiserfs the really fast taboo file system, honestly I stopped using it after I read about it, it freaked me the hell out.
                    Last edited by creative; 29 June 2018, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X