Linux 4.17-ck1 Kernel Patches Released With Newest MuQSS Scheduler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.17-ck1 Kernel Patches Released With Newest MuQSS Scheduler

Phoronix: Linux 4.17-ck1 Kernel Patches Released With Newest MuQSS Scheduler

Independent Linux kernel hacker Con Kolivas has published his latest kernel patch-set, Linux 4.17-ck1, which most notably includes the latest version of the Multiple Queue Skiplist Scheduler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The latest "Mucus" seems to be hitting the Zen-kernel too. I've used its Debian flavour, Liquorix, with good results and I'm looking forward to the 4.17.x versions.

Although I haven't got the science to back it up it does feel a tad more responsive under load and even when something silly has been eating all the memory.

Edit: Below issue was fixed in short order and the latest 4.16.x kernel works as intended.

Fixed since: A note of caution though. The latest and possibly final release of the Liquorix 4.16.18 [EOL] that just came out would rather hang than boot up (the first hang I can remember) so either wait for a quick revision or the jump to 4.17.x or alternatively dive under the covers to find out what caused it.
    Last edited by misGnomer; 27 June 2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I really can't feel the difference on a 4c/8t i7. The default Linux scheduler and this one seem equally good.

Also, I don't think Con's opinion on cgroups is correct. Cgroup CPU handling is a pretty great thing, especially the way systemd sets it up for you so transparently. Each thing in a "slice" gets its own group. The system slice, each service slice under that. The user slice and each user under that. Nothing is allowed to steal all of the CPU time for itself.

Comment

btw. Liquorix is fast ... but not fastest

Comment

Working...
        X