Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.18-rc2 Released With A Normal Week's Worth Of Changes

Phoronix: Linux 4.18-rc2 Released With A Normal Week's Worth Of Changes

Due to traveling in China, Linus Torvalds has released the Linux 4.18-rc2 kernel a half-day ahead of schedule, but overall things are looking good for Linux 4.18...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

4.18-rc1-2 is working without a hitch for me on my Tumbleweed laptop. Usually I don't have this much luck with early release candidates. I'll try rc2 when the Kernel:Head project releases it in the next couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      4.18-rc1-2 is working without a hitch for me on my Tumbleweed laptop.
      On what CPU and GPU combination? (If I can ask)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        On what CPU and GPU combination? (If I can ask)
        Nothing modern or complicated. It's a 6 year old Samsung laptop with a Sandy Bridge i3-2370M and integrated Intel graphics. It's nice because the hardware is nearly universally supported.

I have a newer laptop with an i7-7500U and a GTX-950M, but I don't run rc kernels on it. Need it for everyday work.

Comment

Nothing modern or complicated. It's a 6 year old Samsung laptop with a Sandy Bridge i3-2370M and integrated Intel graphics. It's nice because the hardware is nearly universally supported.

I have a newer laptop with an i7-7500U and a GTX-950M, but I don't run rc kernels on it. Need it for everyday work.
          That's funny, my i5-4670K/AMD RX 480 won't even boot to desktop with rc1 or rc2 lol. You win some, you lose some I guess. Back on 4.17.2 for now.

Comment

4.18-rc1-2 is working without a hitch for me on my Tumbleweed laptop.....
            Same here w/TW except this is Ryzen5/RX560. But the no-60Hz-refresh regression in amdgpu is present....I think they know about that already....

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

That's funny, my i5-4670K/AMD RX 480 won't even boot to desktop with rc1 or rc2 lol. You win some, you lose some I guess. Back on 4.17.2 for now.
              I prefer testing these without discrete graphics, as it's less trouble for me. That's one reason I keep this 6-year old laptop around. Even at that age it's got a 4-core CPU that handles Tumbleweed easily.

Comment

I decided to skip rc1, compiling rc2 now I hope it works.

Edit: Yeah everything works fine here, Xeon 1230v2/RX460
                Last edited by czz0; 24 June 2018, 05:11 PM.

Comment

So I found out why was giving me problems... ohgodatool is no longer compatible for Linux 4.18 kernel, which is what I use for over/underclocking my AMD card on linux.

I use this script on startup so that explains why it would hang right before it showed the desktop. (was able to recreate by running my overclock script on a running Ubuntu)

Code:
                  #!/usr/bin/env bash

# Script to underclock AMD RX480 for Linux 4.18 kernel.

# Override from 'auto' to 'manual' so we can change settings
                  echo "manual" | sudo tee /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level > /dev/null

# This works on 4.17 kernel and earlier, no longer works with 4.18
                  #sudo ohgodatool -i 0 --set-fanspeed 40 --mem-state 1 --mem-clock 2080 --core-state 5 --core-clock 1191

# Manually set the clock as well since it doesn't stick with ohgodatool (only core, memory works fine)
                  #
                  # Example of what the file looks like (it accepts 5, 6, 7 etc as values):
                  # 5: 1191Mhz
                  # 6: 1236Mhz
                  # 7: 1303Mhz *
                  #
                  # We'll set to 5 here, which is 1191 Mhz
                  echo "5" | sudo tee /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_dpm_sclk > /dev/null
                  To wrap up, I'm still using this script but without ohgodatool. The first and third line still bring my power draw down from 140W to 109W by downlocking from 1303 to 1191. Memory still at 2000 (ohgodatool allowed me to get to 2080).

Well that's all, wanted to pass that along in case it helps anyone having a similar issue . PS: oibaf's Mesa 18.2-dev PPA is working great for me too, so no more issues on my end with 4.18 and Mesa 18.2-devel.

Comment

Working...
                  X