• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sjukfan
    replied
    Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post
    No matter how many times people make these "claims", it won't make it true
    So how does someone use logind without systemd?

Leave a comment:

• rtfazeberdee
    replied
    Originally posted by moltonel View Post
    Systemd in contrast is indeed very monotithic and aggregates many features that would benefit from being independent.
    No matter how many times people make these "claims", it won't make it true

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    Woohoo after 20+ years sysvinit finally documents its init control protocol. Now maybe so other init system lets just say openrc/systemd can implement it.

There are a large number of still undocumented items in sysvinit.
    Funny. Someone before you mentioned how straightforward sysvinit is, but it can't be straightforward is so many things are undocumented...

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied

* Horribly written probably. Did you check ? Sysvinit is actually very small, so only its age will make it horrible. Maybe you're thinking about the individual service scripts ?
    * Bygone ages arguably, but it still has decades ahead of it.
    * Highly monolithic not at all, it's actually very modular and straightforward. Systemd in contrast is indeed very monotithic and aggregates many features that would benefit from being independent.

OpenRC, has a healthy userbase and development pace, thanks for your concern. In many ways OpenRC is "SysVinit done right", it's cleanly written, not monolithic, nice to use, and featureful. My impression is that while many SysVinit users migrated (reluctantly or not) to Systemd, most OpenRC users happily stayed in OpenRC land.
    You're contradicting yourself. First you defend SysV because it's such a great piece of software, but then you actually defend OpenRC because it's what SysV should've been, i.e. SysV secretly sucks because OpenRC is what SysV should've been...

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    There are good alternatives to sysvinit and systemd out there. OpenRC is often mentioned, runit is another, minit, daemontools... The nice thing about all of those except systemd is that they play fairly well together on a single system.
    I was speaking in regards the usual sysvinit vs systemd juxtaposition that takes place whenever either one is brought up. Sure, alternatives definitely exist, but none of them is as prevalent as systemd right now or sysvinit in it's heyday, hence the juxtaposition.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Woohoo after 20+ years sysvinit finally documents its init control protocol. Now maybe so other init system lets just say openrc/systemd can implement it.

There are a large number of still undocumented items in sysvinit.

Leave a comment:

• moltonel
    replied
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
    Because the only alternative is a horribly written, highly monolithic failure of a project created to replace it.
    There are good alternatives to sysvinit and systemd out there. OpenRC is often mentioned, runit is another, minit, daemontools... The nice thing about all of those except systemd is that they play fairly well together on a single system.

Leave a comment:

• moltonel
    replied
    Originally posted by Candy View Post
    Why would anyone use this horribly written, highly monolithic artifact from bygone ages?

Because people jumped to another horrible written, highly monolithic piece of software
    * Horribly written probably. Did you check ? Sysvinit is actually very small, so only its age will make it horrible. Maybe you're thinking about the individual service scripts ?
    * Bygone ages arguably, but it still has decades ahead of it.
    * Highly monolithic not at all, it's actually very modular and straightforward. Systemd in contrast is indeed very monotithic and aggregates many features that would benefit from being independent.

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
    I don't think there are that many OpenRC users out there.
    OpenRC, has a healthy userbase and development pace, thanks for your concern. In many ways OpenRC is "SysVinit done right", it's cleanly written, not monolithic, nice to use, and featureful. My impression is that while many SysVinit users migrated (reluctantly or not) to Systemd, most OpenRC users happily stayed in OpenRC land.

Leave a comment:

• jpg44
    replied
    systemd completely supports System V Init, if you want to use it. Pretty surprising isn't? because if you listen to systemd haters you would think that System V support was taken away. But you can quite happily start services by SystemV files just as you always have. Thats why all of this systemd hating nonsense is nonsense, systemd doesnt take away any functionality, it just adds on additional functionality. I find systemd to be much easier to use because of the declarative file format, there is much less wheel reinventing and results in easier to read files than bash code. The start up model is different, because its more powerful and allows you more flexibility to determine when a service to start based on prerequisites rather than just a sequence based start up. You can absolutely use a sequence based startup, but systemd allows you to configure it to start services on a much more precise set of conditions. People are just afraid of whats different, once you learn it, its worth it because it is much more powerful

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by lostdistance View Post
    Embedded systems.

In my current job I use sysvinit to start a video decode application on an Intel Braswell Qseven module.
    Why not using busybox's light "init" instead? I don't think you need runlevels in embedded (which is the main difference, busybox's init does not support runlevels).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X