Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NetworkManager Finally Supports Wake On Wireless LAN (WoWLAN)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkManager Finally Supports Wake On Wireless LAN (WoWLAN)

Phoronix: NetworkManager Finally Supports Wake On Wireless LAN (WoWLAN)

NetworkManager has finally landed support for dealing with Wake On Wireless LAN (WoWLAN) as the WoL-like functionality for wireless adapters...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Manager-WoWLAN

Fake news!
    </Don Trump voice>

The feature set of 1.12 has not been finalized yet, and we in fact have every intention to ship the WoWLAN code. In general, guessing what's going to happen by watching Git repository references come and go is not the most reliable thing to do.

We're quite happy to get our development covered on Phoronix. It would be better if it was accurate. We put quite some work into keeping the NEWS file up to date when releases and even pre-releases are published.

phoronix, if you insist on publishing announcements before everyone else, even the upstreams, there's probably little we can do about it. But here's a suggestion: stop by on our IRC channel (that would be #nm on freenode) and ask what are we up to when you make a prediction. We do our development in open and don't have many secrets. And we're not as unfriendly as one may guess.
    Last edited by lkundrak; 06-15-2018, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lkundrak View Post
      Fake news!
      </Don Trump voice>

The feature set of 1.12 has not been finalized yet, and we in fact have every intention to ship the WoWLAN code. In general, guessing what's going to happen by watching Git repository references come and go is not the most reliable thing to do.

We're quite happy to get our development covered on Phoronix. It would be better if it was accurate. We put quite some work into keeping the NEWS file up to date when releases and even pre-releases are published.

phoronix, if you insist on publishing announcements before everyone else, even the upstreams, there's probably little we can do about it. But here's a suggestion: stop by on our IRC channel (that would be #nm on freenode) and ask what are we up to when you make a prediction. We do our development in open and don't have many secrets. And we're not as unfriendly as one may guess.
      Removed the reference then to 1.12/1.14. Thought 1.12 was already under feature freeze due to being branched.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Does WoWLAN respect AMD's Magic packet patent?

AMD's PCnet-FAST III device supports key industry specifications including ACPI (Advanced Configuration Power Interface) and OnNow power management with AMD's patented Magic Packet remote wake-up technology
        https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1120706

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post
          Does WoWLAN respect AMD's Magic packet patent?

AMD's PCnet-FAST III device supports key industry specifications including ACPI (Advanced Configuration Power Interface) and OnNow power management with AMD's patented Magic Packet remote wake-up technology
          https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1120706
          Does it need to? WoWLAN is an entirely different network technology.

We might as well patent rectangles with rounded corners...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Does it need to? WoWLAN is an entirely different network technology.
            That was part of my question
            Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            We might as well patent rectangles with rounded corners...
            It is not such patent., but there is patented rounded rectangle shaped telecomunication device

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post
              It is not such patent., but there is patented rounded rectangle shaped telecomunication device
              Yeah, and don't tell me the patent holder actually even went in court against a well-known large electronic device manufacturer and won.

(hint: I know everything)

Comment

Still no support for having one and only one systray icon on anything that isn't Gnome/KDE. What' the point of having 2, but only sometimes?

Comment

I really dislike the lack of security that comes with WoL. AFAIK, even "authenticated" WoL uses plain-text authentication.

I wish it was something like Wireguard: one signed, encrypted packet.

Comment

What is the use case of this? I understand that wake on lab is useful in a server environment, but is WiFi used in such environments? I sure don't want anybody to wake up my laptop over WiFi.

Comment

Working...
                    X