Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.17 Stable Has Been Settling Well, Coming Soon To Fedora

Phoronix: Linux 4.17 Stable Has Been Settling Well, Coming Soon To Fedora

Since the release of Linux 4.17 almost two weeks ago, I haven't heard of any horror stories, Linux 4.17 continues running excellent on all of my test systems, the 4.17.1 point release was quite small, and more distributions are gearing up to ship this latest kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael - Have you run any undervolting / 'wattman functionality' tests on Polaris cards?

Comment

Originally posted by rycodge View Post
      Michael - Have you run any undervolting / 'wattman functionality' tests on Polaris cards?
      It's on my TODO list but haven't had time to look into it or the documentation on it for testing yet.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I installed 4.17.1 on some servers at work, running fine there.
        An attempt with my entertainment PC at home, however, showed the expected disasterous result due to amdgpu.dc=1 required there - instead of the "days between crashes" I can reach with some 4.13.x kernel, 4.17.1, like all the newer kernels, crashes consistently minutes after booting and starting some firefox browsing. :-(
        Given how the frequency of crashes has increased with the newer kernel versions, and given the silence in the related bug reports, I have given up hope to see a stable amdgpu driver anytime soon.

Comment

Is ROCM openCL expected to work on Fedora 28 with kernel 4.17? a ROCM COPR repo would be really useful. Still using amdgpu-pro just for the OpenCL bits for darktable and gimp. Being able to use 4.17+ROCM would be a much cleaner (and up-to-date) solution.

Comment

>not already running 4.18.0-0.rc0.git8 like a real man
            stablefags will never learn

Comment

It should also arrive in Tumbleweed, it is being tested.

Comment

Can this be done on Vega?

Comment

Hmmm when writing any value to pp_power_profile_mode with Polaris or Vega on Linux 4.17 or 4.18 Git, I just get a write error for invalid argument... Tried upgrading the firmware too, no luck. Need to dig back through the patches to see what I am missing. bridgman is there something silly being overlooked? Following the comment from one of the patches, but looks like I must have overlooked something for trying to get the POWER_SAVING mode.

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Can this be done on Vega?
                  I think it's supposed to, but no go with Polaris or Vega in my quick try.. is the
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Well, hasn't been running well on my desktop. The AMDGPU driver is now totally broken for my R9 390 - refuses to boot (or atleast, the screen is completely blank a second after kernel startup - modeset doesn't succeed).

I think I should just quit trying to be an Android developer, and focus entirely on fixing this crappy AMDGPU driver, or write my own driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X