Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early PHP 7.3 Performance Benchmarks Are Looking Good

Phoronix: Early PHP 7.3 Performance Benchmarks Are Looking Good

Released this week was the first alpha of PHP 7.3 and I decided to take it for a spin with some benchmarks. While not as dramatic as going from PHP5 to PHP 7.0, the performance of PHP7 continues getting better...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some functions are now SSE4 and AVX2-accelerated like base64_encode and base64_decode. I did some benchmarks myself. Base64_encode is now twice as fast and base64_decode four times as fast using 7.3A1 compared to 7.2.5. (Xeon W-2145)

Comment

Originally posted by franzhaenel View Post
      Some functions are now SSE4 and AVX2-accelerated like base64_encode and base64_decode. I did some benchmarks myself. Base64_encode is now twice as fast and base64_decode four times as fast using 7.3A1 compared to 7.2.5. (Xeon W-2145)
      hey now that's nice!

Comment

7.3 brings more work on dead code removal, and flow analysis.
        AST based compiler actually make sense. Who would have known

Comment

Recently I benchmarked the jit-dynasm branch and it was doubling the performance of php 7.3, so the jit work is going to be a game changer...

Comment

Now they just need to solve the cross compilation issues, especially the missing configure time overrides :|

Comment

Does anyone know which enterprise entities are pushing the development of PHP the most nowadays?

Comment

Also now has support for throwing exceptions when fail to parse JSON. However, it has to be set with a flag, so it defaults not to throwing exceptions.
                It is rather strange to work with such an inconsistent language that does not throw exceptions.
                Making the language throw exceptions would break backwards compatibility, but making it not makes it feel like such an odd language that is not modern.

PHP has support for throwing exceptions, but it rarely does, instead it uses an error handler.

Comment

Originally posted by franzhaenel View Post
                  Not trolling, how does PHP 7.3 compare to Rust and C speedwise?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Not trolling, how does PHP 7.3 compare to Rust and C speedwise?
                    Here's a comparison between C++, Rust, and Go:

Here's a comparison between multiple languages, with PHP 5.6 and 7.0 represented:

PHP 7.x is speedy, but not even close to C, C++, and Rust.

Comment

Working...
                    X