Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Release Planning Is Underway For LLVM 7.0, Shipping In September

Phoronix: Release Planning Is Underway For LLVM 7.0, Shipping In September

Continuing LLVM release manager Hans Wennborg has begun discussing plans for the upcoming LLVM 7.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there any guide on building llvm and then building Mesa using that llvm? Half a year period is quite huge, so having latest llvm for testing can be useful.

Comment

I think it would be nice if LLVM were to be released every ~4 months instead of the current 6. There's always so much new stuff in every release, people would probably appreciate getting access to it earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
        I think it would be nice if LLVM were to be released every ~4 months instead of the current 6.
        That would only work if it didn't take them 4 months to accept a patch.

I'd agree that a shorter release cycle would be great to at least get critical bugs fixed, building LLVM-svn isn't exactly a fun experience. I like the way Mesa handles these things with a bug fix release every couple of weeks if necessary. But then again, with a project as massive and widely used as LLVM that's probably impossible to maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
          That would only work if it didn't take them 4 months to accept a patch.

I'd agree that a shorter release cycle would be great to at least get critical bugs fixed, building LLVM-svn isn't exactly a fun experience. I like the way Mesa handles these things with a bug fix release every couple of weeks if necessary. But then again, with a project as massive and widely used as LLVM that's probably impossible to maintain.
          Mesa can possibly ship forked llvm with fixes, and in the interim try to push them upstream. That's what Rust (rustc) compiler is doing. They rely a lot on cutting edge llvm features that aren't upstreamed yet and it can take a while to get them in the main codebase. So they simply use their llvm branch, but they push their changes upstream as soon as it's feasible.

It's not ideal (what if something won't be accepted), but this way Mesa release cycle can be more flexible.
          Last edited by shmerl; 07 June 2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

And LLVM/Clang still behind GCC in implementing some important features such "scalar_storage_order" attribute.

I guess our company will skip LLVM 7 release as well.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Is there any guide on building llvm and then building Mesa using that llvm? Half a year period is quite huge, so having latest llvm for testing can be useful.
              You could look at the PKGBUILD on aur, they're quite clear, even if not for your distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

You could look at the PKGBUILD on aur, they're quite clear, even if not for your distribution.
                That's one of my favourite things about arch... the build process for all the packages isn't hidden behind 9000 layers of deb helpers, everything is clear and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

I'll take a look, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X