XFS For Linux 4.18 Preps Online File-System Repair, Other Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFS For Linux 4.18 Preps Online File-System Repair, Other Features

Phoronix: XFS For Linux 4.18 Preps Online File-System Repair, Other Features

The mature XFS file-system has seen yet more feature work happen in time for the Linux 4.18 kernel merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    online file-system repair
    Hell yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: XFS For Linux 4.18 Preps Online File-System Repair, Other Features

The mature XFS file-system has seen yet more feature work happen in time for the Linux 4.18 kernel merge window...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-4.18-Features
      I remember about 10 years ago, when XFS was considered dead (like JFS, Reiserfs etc.). What a spectacular comeback!

Comment

Godspeed XFS, please give us live snapshots and we're entirely sold on you.

Live repairs are awesome, it certainly helps having RH backing you.

In contrast, it is too sad that not even RH with all their "pragmatic might" can't get Gnome to get their act together.

Comment

XFS has never been considered dead. It was a very stable and awesome filesystem for SGI in the 90's. The initial port to Linux was unstable but over time it got a lot better and it was way ahead of ext et al especially for large filesystems. XFS has been in steady solid use in businesses and other "high-end" applications since the early 2000's. You just don't hear much about it because it's the stable "boring" choice.

I wish they would focus just for a short time and give us shrink ability. Besides reflinking (which we have now) it's my most wanted feature since the beginning and they won't touch it. Another thing I'd like to see is (optional) data integrity for use on "important" drives, archive/backup drives, and such.

Comment

I'd like to try out XFS, but i keep reading comments that it is not very stable when there are power outages or system crashes...
            Does anyone can confirm this?
            Or is this a problem that has been solved?

Comment

I find Ext4 to be more reliable on crashes. Probably due to data=ordered.

Comment

You can lose data with any filesystem if the system hard crashes or powers off. In my experience XFS has always been way better than other systems.

I've been using XFS for 15+ years on both personal and huge enterprise systems. I've lost WAY more data with the ext based systems. Especially on my personal machines where crashes are common I've lost entire filesystems due to corruption and the ext recovery/repair utilities just made it worse. Never once had that problem with XFS. I've lost files on XFS at times but never the whole filesystem. In fact back in like 2004 or so we were trying build a huge server and ext2/3 couldn't even format it without crashing. We went with XFS and never looked back. That same filesystem was still running up until about 3 years ago when we rebuilt with new disks and upgraded to the latest (v5) XFS.

Comment

ext4 improved quite a lot (especially repair) compared to ext3.

It would be really great, if data=ordered would be supported in XFS.

Comment

Working...
                  X