Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.17 Kernel Patch Brings -march=native Support

Phoronix: Linux 4.17 Kernel Patch Brings -march=native Support

A Gentoo user has revised his kernel patch allowing the mainline Linux kernel to be built with the GCC "-march=native" compiler optimizations for targeting the kernel build against your particular CPU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh wao!
    Cant wait to see this version of kernel in Gentoo Portage system.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      Oh wao!
      Cant wait to see this version of kernel in Gentoo Portage system.
      AFAIK, the work here has been in place on Gentoo already; it's just that the Gentoo user made a patch available upstream to make it more generally available.
      As for Linux 4.17 kernel, you should look for other items in the changelog, IMO.
      Either way, nice to see some positive news this week, with respect to OpenSource.

Welp: based on the info shown, it's actually relevant and exciting to Gentoo users as well, after all

The options in kernel menu config --> Processor Type and Features --> Processor Family now have an expanded list of CPUs.
      Last edited by azdaha; 05 June 2018, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Article
        But Gentoo user Alexey Dobriyan.
        Michael I think you accidentally a few words .

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina
          Yeah I did not get the point here either since we had the graysky patchset for years already.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Yeah I did not get the point here either since we had the graysky patchset for years already.
            This is interesting! So what is the catch since this it not known more than it is? I mean, Gentoo users have been all about performance since the conception of it. Got to be something making the graysky patchset not the go-to-
            compiler-optimization-flag?

Comment

How does this compare to the graysky patches?

Comment

Gentoo had this for years. So can someone explain this article please?

I don't get it :-/

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Gentoo had this for years. So can someone explain this article please?

I don't get it :-/
                  From what I understand, this is just the graysky patch set going into upstream, so other distros can use it without sourcing the patch set from somewhere else.

Comment

Is it really going upstream? I would love it to, but I don't think it's happening.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X