Linux 4.17 Kernel Released With Big Updates For AMDGPU, CPU Power-Savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.17 Kernel Released With Big Updates For AMDGPU, CPU Power-Savings

Phoronix: Linux 4.17 Kernel Released With Big Updates For AMDGPU, CPU Power-Savings

While there was a lot of last minute changes this week, Linus Torvalds has just gone ahead and officially released the Linux 4.17 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm interesting on ACPI features above all about PCIE

Comment

I am interested in trying Kernel 4.17, as I have an RX460, but unfortunately I have been unable to successfully boot any of the rc's for this kernel. $.16 is totally fine.

I get an error of rtc_cmos 00:02: nvmem registration failed and then the screen goes blank and boot does not seem to proceed any further as there isnt much in the logs after that error.

Comment

Oh man, every time I refresh Phoronix I see new articles. When do you sleep Michael? :-)

Got to test this kernel on my laptop, interested in the battery boost
        Last edited by JeansenVaars; 03 June 2018, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
          Oh man, every time I refresh Phoronix I see new articles. When do you sleep Michael? :-)
          Usually 21.00~22.00 Central time to 03.00~04.00 in the morning. The rest of the time is work aside from when exercising/eating/drinking/whatever.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Usually 21.00~22.00 Central time to 03.00~04.00 in the morning. The rest of the time is work aside from when exercising/eating/drinking/whatever.
            You are a crazy dude, but in the best possible way.

Comment

I really wish the kernel didn't require that many languages and tools to build.
              • It doesn't make any sense to have a single sed script when you already require awk.
              • The css file is referred by a single python script, it could be defined inline.
              • The xslt files are only used for a single document when you already have html, TeX, and Markdown. :-(
              • m4, nant script, glade - why?
              • TeX - only Documentation/cdrom/cdrom-standard.tex :-(
              • Markdown - only Documentation/filesystems/path-lookup.md :-(
              • It also makes little sense to have both Perl and Python scripts, or Python/Bash/Perl/Make when a single tool could handle it all - maybe Meson instead?
              • C++ ? wat

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                • It doesn't make any sense to have a single sed script when you already require awk.
                • The css file is referred by a single python script, it could be defined inline.
                • The xslt files are only used for a single document when you already have html, TeX, and Markdown. :-(
                • It also makes little sense to have both Perl and Python scripts, or Python/Bash/Perl/Make when a single tool could handle it all - maybe Meson instead?
                • C++ ? wat
                Also, bc for no real reason... considering it used to not be required and and no feature was added when switching the code to use it...

It just makes it harder to self host a kernel on your own toolchain as it is yet another tool just ask Rob Landley...
                Last edited by cb88; 03 June 2018, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Still havent been able to boot a kernel newer then 4.15.3-53 with my AMD R9 Nano via DP, HDMI works but cant have a usable screen with 30hz refresh. Anyone else have these issues?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    • C++ ? wat
                    People that contribute get to pick what tools they use, seems fair to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X