The Best Features Of The Linux 4.17 Kernel: Power Savings, AMDGPU DC, ACPI TAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    This is the first stable kernel for amdgpu users. All the longstanding bugs from 4.15 and 4.16 have finally been ironed out:

- suspend/resume --> random freeze
    - screen locking --> Gnome restart
    - display turned off/on --> systematic system freeze
    - AV receiver channel switch --> system freeze or Gnome restart
    - sound crackling --> In Spotify or Netflix after 3-5 days of uptime (and restarting pulseaudio not improving anything)

I can finally get over 4-7 days of suspending/resuming uptime without system freeze (18 as of writing) and my Polaris RX 560 is finally worth it, one year later.

Hail the 4.17! Long live to the king of amdgpu kernels!
    I've reading about all these suspend/resume issues on RX5xx GPUs for a while now. I've had a RX570 for a little over half a year, and I've had no such issue, not even once. I've had other issues, but they are coming from the Ryzen 1st gen CPU, not from my graphics card. How can I replicate these issues with kernel 4.16? I power down my pc like 3 times per month tops, so I have had plenty of chances for this to happen apparently...
    Last edited by euler271; 03 June 2018, 01:42 PM.

Comment

How many years until there's freesync 2 on linux, any educated guesses? Just got myself the samsung qled freesync 2 display...

Comment

Originally posted by tzui View Post
        What's the problem of adding a kernel parameter?
        People always gotta be a contrarian. Wtf? If you want to continue using amdgpu.dc=1 then go right ahead!

What an exciting release for amdgpu, can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          Worked 17 days in a row.
          I still have the kernel option added to Grub though because it was not working correctly without, as much as it is supposed to.
          I also want it working 17 days in a row so TELL ME
          what is this the kernel option - the ultimate kernel option - that you speak of??? you must share NOW, I must have the technology so please hand it over

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
            I also want it working 17 days in a row so TELL ME
            what is this the kernel option - the ultimate kernel option - that you speak of??? you must share NOW, I must have the technology so please hand it over
            Calm down! :-)

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amdgpu.dc=1 amdgpu.audio=1"

amdgpu.dc=1 amdgpu.audio=1 are the usual kernel options for amdgpu. We shouldn't need them anymore starting from 4.17 but weirdly enough it works much better for me with them than without.

Comment

Working...
            X