No announcement yet.

The Best Features Of The Linux 4.17 Kernel: Power Savings, AMDGPU DC, ACPI TAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Features Of The Linux 4.17 Kernel: Power Savings, AMDGPU DC, ACPI TAD

Phoronix: The Best Features Of The Linux 4.17 Kernel: Power Savings, AMDGPU DC, ACPI TAD

If all goes well, the Linux 4.17 kernel will debut as stable today. Linus Torvalds last week indicated that this next kernel stable release could be coming for this weekend, but there has been a lot of changes merged in recent days, so we'll see if Linus is still leaning towards releasing today or instead opts for Linux 4.17-rc8. Whatever he ends up deciding, there are a lot of great changes with Linux 4.17...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm waiting for ZSTD support in squashfs and zram personally (update me if I'm wrong and they are already implemented, lol), also for zcache to be resurrected. No idea why it was ever dropped, considering there's no current feature that comes close to it (compressing file-backed pages so that more of them fit in RAM, instead of dropping them outright). Not every device uses a high speed SSD (there's also *plenty* of super slow solid-state storage, like flash cards and most pen drives, way slower than HDDs).

Comment

This is the first stable kernel for amdgpu users. All the longstanding bugs from 4.15 and 4.16 have finally been ironed out:

- suspend/resume --> random freeze
      - screen locking --> Gnome restart
      - display turned off/on --> systematic system freeze
      - AV receiver channel switch --> system freeze or Gnome restart
      - sound crackling --> In Spotify or Netflix after 3-5 days of uptime (and restarting pulseaudio not improving anything)

I can finally get over 4-7 days of suspending/resuming uptime without system freeze (18 as of writing) and my Polaris RX 560 is finally worth it, one year later.

Hail the 4.17! Long live to the king of amdgpu kernels!

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        This is the first stable kernel for amdgpu users. All the longstanding bugs from 4.15 and 4.16 have finally been ironed out:

- sound crackling --> In Spotify or Netflix after 3-5 days of uptime (and restarting pulseaudio not improving anything)

I can finally get over 4-7 days of suspending/resuming uptime without system freeze (18 as of writing) and my Polaris RX 560 is finally worth it, one year later.

Sounds great and I'm very happy that AMDGPU DC is now enabled by default :-) I experienced most of the issues as well, it was not always easy with AMD hardware, but I think they are on the right track and it's great to see this getting finally stable.

Comment

Wow wow wow, this is probably the most exciting kernel release since AMDGPU was introduced!
          I'm looking forward to seeing if there are any notable differences when running R290 with DC, as well as finally trying to get OpenCL working in Blender!
          I run Gentoo, so I always build and configure my own kernel.

Comment

Also gentoo-user here and running a r9 290 as well.
            I have tried with every rc up to git-sources-4.17_rc7 as well as drm-next-4.19 and amdgpu-drm-next-staging and some others.
            I cant get hdmi audio working (enabled in kernel) and having my 4k tv attatched causes my system to freeze on shutdown. These issues do not appear with dc disabled, but ofcourse no hdmi-audio either.

Besides that amdgpu has been quite stable for me (with dc disabled)

Comment

What's the problem of adding a kernel parameter?

Comment

I still have problems with suspend/resume on my HTPC as of 4.17.0-0.rc7 and that's a bit sad. It will always work just fine on the first suspend/resume cycle. But it will eventually lock up on resume. This makes me just turn the screens off instead of suspending the box if I'm going to the store to buy milk or something.

Comment

This is exactly what ive been waiting for! Now for the question that always raise controversy, which distro is best at getting these new kernels and supporting libraries into their stable releases? I was going to go Fedora but if there are bettter choices.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                    I still have problems with suspend/resume on my HTPC as of 4.17.0-0.rc7 and that's a bit sad. It will always work just fine on the first suspend/resume cycle. But it will eventually lock up on resume. This makes me just turn the screens off instead of suspending the box if I'm going to the store to buy milk or something.
                    This was the case for me until 4.17rc2. And believe me, I tried several different kernels, next or staging included. But I can now suspend without fear of not being able to resume. Worked 17 days in a row.
                    I still have the kernel option added to Grub though because it was not working correctly without, as much as it is supposed to.

Comment

Working...
                    X