Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Community Forks Red Hat's Spacewalk, Now Calls It Uyuni

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Community Forks Red Hat's Spacewalk, Now Calls It Uyuni

In addition to the release of openSUSE Leap 15, also making the rounds at this weekend's openSUSE conference in Prague is word of the openSUSE community forking the Spacewalk system management software into a new project they are calling Uyuni...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is interesting. IT will force redhat to expand the functionality of their product.

Comment

Originally posted by michal
      worst project name - hard to pronounce and hard to remember.
      Hard to pronounce for a subset of 'murricans perhaps.

And it's not harder to remember than Spacewalk, neither names have any bearing to what the project does anyway, so you would have to apply memorization techniques either way.

Comment

Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda View Post
        This is interesting. IT will force redhat to expand the functionality of their product.
        Dunno, as long as it is GPLv2 it's not going to be terribly hard to just clone any change and keep feature parity if they really wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Hard to pronounce for a subset of 'murricans perhaps.
          I'm Dutch but I also find the name hard to pronounce, so it's not limited to Americans.

Comment

Doesn't Cockpit also accomplishes the same functionality?

Comment

Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda View Post
              Nope, because Red Hat is already working on a new and more modern product (Satellite 6) that will not be based on upstream Spacewalk, so that product will be in the hands of the community, so for OpenSUSE seems a good opportunity to take that code base and mold your own product.

Anyway, there are good alternative FLOSS out there like Foreman or Candlepin for example

Comment

Hmm i dont get it. why fork a somewhat old project and not contribute to something like theforeman.org? it serves as the upstream for satellite 6 and is quite advanced in my opinion

Comment

Ooh yoo nee seemed the simplest logical anglicised pronunciation to me. Possibly also yoo yoo nee.
                  Hi

Comment

If you go to opensuse the of Uyuni reminds me of the tumbleweed wallpaper that is suppose to be chameleon scales.

Comment

Working...
                    X