Systemd Introduces "Portable Services" Functionality, Similar To Containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
    Wasn't this supposed to be an init system ?
    Yes, like emacs was supposed to be a text editor.

Comment

It would be useful if it would work also to user space instead to have another service like flatpak...

Comment

Can't wait for systemd to create UpdateD to automatically update the system for you without asking even if you want to or not. Just like windows.

Comment

At least we learn, that there are people outside, solving "things" for problems that doesn't exist.

Comment

An interesting concept, not having to worry about packaging for many vastly different distros would be a definite plus (and I guess this is the main purpose of systemd, to reduce the complexity). Having your own little "world" to live in I can see a plus side too.

Being able to remove something entirely and cleanly is both nice and could be rather bad - e.g. nuking your entire apache2/nginx/postgres/email server config.

Comment

So ,it's an umbrella of projects that often require each other to work ( because of deliberately being designed monolithically ) despite covering increasingly unrelated ground ; which was already well covered such in this case ; only works on Linux and uses a copyleft license but encourages other projects to depend on it ( ex : gnome )
              Last edited by GunpowaderGuy; 25 May 2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Their main difference is that the use a different root directory than the rest of the system. Hence, the intention is not to run code in a different, isolated world from the host — like most containers would do it —, but to run it in the same world, but with stricter access controls on what the service can see and do.
                Oh yes, Lennart's NIHilism strikes again...chrooted services reinvented...

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
                  So ,it's an umbrella of projects that often require each other to work ( because of deliberately being designed monolithically ) despite covering increasingly unrelated ground ; which was already well covered such in this case ; only works on Linux and uses a copyleft license but encourages other projects to depend on it ( ex : gnome )
                  Wow, so many words used and not one true statement made. You really should call that fake-president dude. He needs talents like you.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post
                    Can't wait for systemd to create UpdateD to automatically update the system for you without asking even if you want to or not. Just like windows.
                    Quite the stretch, even by troll standards.

Comment

Originally posted by tg-- View Post

Nope, as the name implies it was from the start intended to be a system and service management daemon.
                      I am under the impression that it was named systemd because it utilizes systems theory to optimize its init functionality. I believe I heard an interview with Lennart where this was explained by him.

Comment

Working...
                      X