Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster Audio Decoding/Encoding Coming To Ogg & FLAC

Phoronix: Faster Audio Decoding/Encoding Coming To Ogg & FLAC

FLAC and Ogg now have faster audio encoding and decoding capabilities thanks to recent code improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this also affect ARM? x86 is already able to decode at like 10000x realtime.

Comment

Nice work! Glad to see someone's working on this stuff

Comment

How did he patch Monkey's Audio considering it's proprietary, closed source software?
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          How did he patch Monkey's Audio considering it's proprietary, closed source software?
          From the licence: "Code changes and improvements must be contributed back to the Monkey's Audio project or made freely available, unless exempted by written consent of the author." So it doesn't look like FOSS, but patches are allowed.

Comment

In before "FLAC encoder/decoder is being patched for Spectre"..

Comment

Patch author here. Feel free to ask questions.

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              Does this also affect ARM? x86 is already able to decode at like 10000x realtime.
              Yes, the patches are architecture independent. However, I did not measure the speedup on ARM yet.

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              It's open source, but under a proprietary, not OSI approved license.

Comment

Good stuff, now I need Audacious to not be a flaky piece of crap and a music player that isn't a crock of poop and all my audio needs will be met on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  It looks like it would help all platforms. It is using a lookup table to reduce the number of calculations needed. Its not a specific vector optimisation like AVX.

I suppose there is a small risk that it increases the code size, so might slow some CPUs with a small cache. It would be nice to have an ARM benchmark.

Comment

FLAC decoding was already crazy fast, so a little faster, even better. :- )

Comment

Working...
                    X