X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gbcox
    replied
    Originally posted by mskarbek View Post

Yes but I wasn't talking about forking but actual adoption of MariaDB and reasons behind it.
    Yes, but I don't believe there is any proof of "Oracle for some time stopped investing into MySQL" - unless you have minutes of their engineering or board meetings.
    When the purchase of Sun happened, there was plenty of FUD being thrown around - and it still continues today.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    I said that within two weeks of release, Fedora 28 users would start talking about new packages they can use five or six months later with Fedora 29.

Meanwhile, all the rolling releases will be queuing this up quickly.

Leave a comment:

• brrrrttttt
    replied
    Originally posted by gbcox View Post
    I'm actually surprised VirtualBox is still around.
    qemu + libvirt + virt-manager makes it pretty much irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• zxy_thf
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I remember a decade ago, MySQL used to have a really bad reputation.
    Was that bad reputation deserved?
    And is the criticism still relevant today?
    I believe it's still valid if you're seeking for any advanced features in other SQL engines.
    I was working on a pet project of reimplementing mlocate with SQL engine, but soon I found with MySQL/MariaDB I had to assemble the full path in C++, which can be done with Common Table Expressions in pgSQL.

Leave a comment:

• onicsis
    replied

Yes but I wasn't talking about forking but actual adoption of MariaDB and reasons behind it.
    Michael "Monty" Widenius declaration and the article is from march 2013. Meanwhile things may have changed a lot, for sure in 5 years or more. A little competition wouldn't be that bad for the end users to reignite more often between MariaDB/PostgreSQL/MySQL.

Leave a comment:

• justmy2cents
    replied
    There is no direct comparison between MySQL 8 and MariaDB, MariaDB follows development of MySQL 5.7 so you won't be able to use all the new features form MySQL 8 on MariaDB.
    i think you said this really one sided.

they based it on 5.7, yes that is true. but, what you failed to say is that MariaDB didn't stagnate either. they just developed into different direction and same as you can't use features from later MySQL in MariaDB, you also can't use the features in MariaDB that evolved after the split in MySQL. it more or less boils down to which later features you need more.

that said. the two things that i missed the most in MySQL before the split was multiple triggers and virtual columns where only MySQL implemented both. MariaDB only implemented virtual columns, although it was first of the two that did that

correction: they added it later https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/create-trigger/ than i looked and some of their documentation still specifies limitation of that not being possible.
    Last edited by justmy2cents; 07 May 2018, 02:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mskarbek
    replied

MySQL was forked into MariaDB the day the Sun sale to ORACLE was announced. Widenius didn't wait to see what ORACLE was going to do.

Leave a comment:

• gbcox
    replied
    It's not only dislike, Oracle for some time stopped investing into MySQL sending mixed signals about its future which basically forced people to move on because you don't want to end up with unsupported product especially when it's a database. That also boosted PostgreSQL development which created a real threat to Oracle and forced them to rethink their MySQL strategy.
    MySQL was forked into MariaDB the day the Sun sale to ORACLE was announced. Widenius didn't wait to see what ORACLE was going to do.
    MySQL's creator, Michael "Monty" Widenius, is scathing on database's future with Oracle

Leave a comment:

• mskarbek
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    Is there an advantage of using this over MariaDB?
    There is no direct comparison between MySQL 8 and MariaDB, MariaDB follows development of MySQL 5.7 so you won't be able to use all the new features form MySQL 8 on MariaDB.

dislike/distrust ORACLE
    It's not only dislike, Oracle for some time stopped investing into MySQL sending mixed signals about its future which basically forced people to move on because you don't want to end up with unsupported product especially when it's a database. That also boosted PostgreSQL development which created a real threat to Oracle and forced them to rethink their MySQL strategy.
    Last edited by mskarbek; 07 May 2018, 12:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gbcox
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    Is there an advantage of using this over MariaDB?
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I remember a decade ago, MySQL used to have a really bad reputation.
    Was that bad reputation deserved?
    And is the criticism still relevant today?
    Wikipedia has a good article with plenty of footnotes which explains the why regarding MariaDB and MySQL.

After MariaDB was created most folks switched over to it. It's more or less the same story of OpenOffice and LibreOffice.
    It's basically all about how folks dislike/distrust ORACLE. I'm actually surprised VirtualBox is still around.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X