Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MySQL 8.0 Coming To Fedora 29

Phoronix: MySQL 8.0 Coming To Fedora 29

The Fedora 29 release due out this fall will be offering up MySQL 8.0 database support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there an advantage of using this over MariaDB?

Comment

I remember a decade ago, MySQL used to have a really bad reputation.
      Was that bad reputation deserved?
      And is the criticism still relevant today?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Didn't you ask that question recently in some other topic?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Wikipedia has a good article with plenty of footnotes which explains the why regarding MariaDB and MySQL.

After MariaDB was created most folks switched over to it. It's more or less the same story of OpenOffice and LibreOffice.
          It's basically all about how folks dislike/distrust ORACLE. I'm actually surprised VirtualBox is still around.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            There is no direct comparison between MySQL 8 and MariaDB, MariaDB follows development of MySQL 5.7 so you won't be able to use all the new features form MySQL 8 on MariaDB.

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
            dislike/distrust ORACLE
            It's not only dislike, Oracle for some time stopped investing into MySQL sending mixed signals about its future which basically forced people to move on because you don't want to end up with unsupported product especially when it's a database. That also boosted PostgreSQL development which created a real threat to Oracle and forced them to rethink their MySQL strategy.
            Last edited by mskarbek; 07 May 2018, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mskarbek View Post
              It's not only dislike, Oracle for some time stopped investing into MySQL sending mixed signals about its future which basically forced people to move on because you don't want to end up with unsupported product especially when it's a database. That also boosted PostgreSQL development which created a real threat to Oracle and forced them to rethink their MySQL strategy.
              MySQL was forked into MariaDB the day the Sun sale to ORACLE was announced. Widenius didn't wait to see what ORACLE was going to do.
              MySQL's creator, Michael "Monty" Widenius, is scathing on database's future with Oracle

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post

MySQL was forked into MariaDB the day the Sun sale to ORACLE was announced. Widenius didn't wait to see what ORACLE was going to do.
                Yes but I wasn't talking about forking but actual adoption of MariaDB and reasons behind it.

Comment

There is no direct comparison between MySQL 8 and MariaDB, MariaDB follows development of MySQL 5.7 so you won't be able to use all the new features form MySQL 8 on MariaDB.
                  i think you said this really one sided.

they based it on 5.7, yes that is true. but, what you failed to say is that MariaDB didn't stagnate either. they just developed into different direction and same as you can't use features from later MySQL in MariaDB, you also can't use the features in MariaDB that evolved after the split in MySQL. it more or less boils down to which later features you need more.

that said. the two things that i missed the most in MySQL before the split was multiple triggers and virtual columns where only MySQL implemented both. MariaDB only implemented virtual columns, although it was first of the two that did that

correction: they added it later https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/create-trigger/ than i looked and some of their documentation still specifies limitation of that not being possible.
                  Last edited by justmy2cents; 07 May 2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Yes but I wasn't talking about forking but actual adoption of MariaDB and reasons behind it.
                    Michael "Monty" Widenius declaration and the article is from march 2013. Meanwhile things may have changed a lot, for sure in 5 years or more. A little competition wouldn't be that bad for the end users to reignite more often between MariaDB/PostgreSQL/MySQL.

Comment

Working...
                    X