Linux 4.17-rc4 Released As The "Merciless Moray"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post

So the functionality and the massive deployments don't matter. Nope, it is a silly name (which is largely an internal matter) that makes Linux not credible as a workhorse operating system. Never mind that the official release name will either be Linux 4.17 of Linux 15.0.
    Exactly. Also, it's not like silly names can't make you popular. Android has the most market share of all mobile OS's, but what are their releases called? Ice Cream Sandwich, Lollipop, Oreo... I mean: it fits their trend, but it's not like it sounds very serious when you're saying to someone "I'm using my Lollipop device". Yet Android's market share continues to increase despite the silly names.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      I mean: it fits their trend, but it's not like it sounds very serious when you're saying to someone "I'm using my Lollipop device". Yet Android's market share continues to increase despite the silly names.
      You can't compare oranges with lemons, Android being an OS and Linux just a kernel.. you seem to miss the point here

Comment

Given that the topic of discussion is correlation between market share and silliness of internal code names, I'm not sure there is a point to miss
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
          I can't stress too much the futility of such codenames, at least when they don't match any feature release plan like in the Linux case. Then using the adjective+animal scheme to obtain a blatant nonsense is even worse. Finally mimicking Canonical these days is the deathblow to any FLOSS project credibility.
          I am thinking "Merciless Moray" may be quite appropriate considering the spectre/meltdown variants they are going to be dealing with...

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
            Nope, it is a silly name (which is largely an internal matter) that makes Linux not credible as a workhorse operating system.
            Well, Linus did say it wasn't going to be professional:
            I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post

You can't compare oranges with lemons, Android being an OS and Linux just a kernel.. you seem to miss the point here
              So? It's about the sillyness of the names, doesn't matter what it technically is.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                So? It's about the sillyness of the names, doesn't matter what it technically is.
                I was just sarcastic

Comment

Working...
                X