Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.17-rc4 Released As The "Merciless Moray"

Phoronix: Linux 4.17-rc4 Released As The "Merciless Moray"

Linus Torvalds has released Linux 4.17-rc4 as the latest weekly test release of this in-development kernel and he has also finally bumped the codename...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't stress too much the futility of such codenames, at least when they don't match any feature release plan like in the Linux case. Then using the adjective+animal scheme to obtain a blatant nonsense is even worse. Finally mimicking Canonical these days is the deathblow to any FLOSS project credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
      I can't stress too much the futility of such codenames, at least when they don't match any feature release plan like in the Linux case. Then using the adjective+animal scheme to obtain a blatant nonsense is even worse. Finally mimicking Canonical these days is the deathblow to any FLOSS project credibility.
      The names are a joke. Linus is making fun of Canonical's pointless names by assigning them to random kernel releases. This is just old school internet humor.

Comment

So the functionality and the massive deployments don't matter. Nope, it is a silly name (which is largely an internal matter) that makes Linux not credible as a workhorse operating system. Never mind that the official release name will either be Linux 4.17 of Linux 15.0.

Comment

I read it as "Merciless Monday", which was distinctively amusing. I would argue for the codename to be changed!

Comment

Wow, with all problems we have all around the world should we really skip a little bit of fun poking a company for its antics and hurting nobody in the process? I don't think so!

Comment

Originally posted by miabrahams View Post
              The names are a joke. Linus is making fun of Canonical's pointless names by assigning them to random kernel releases. This is just old school internet humor.
              I wasn't aware. Well, that's just awesome then! Has Canonical (or Mark Shuttleworth) ever commented about this joke?

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post

So the functionality and the massive deployments don't matter. Nope, it is a silly name (which is largely an internal matter) that makes Linux not credible as a workhorse operating system. Never mind that the official release name will either be Linux 4.17 of Linux 15.0.
                Most people don't know about the codenames and those who are supposed to have a sense of humor.

Comment

Does that last paragraph suggest that OpenCl support is being integrated into mainline kernel? I use AMD gpu's on Linux since their drivers nowadays are so superb. The problem is I don't use *buntu distributions except in my servers and even then it is only because Debian had some outdated packages required by the software I needed to compile. It would be very nice if I could use the compute capabilities of AMD GPU's straight out of the box.

Also, big thanks to you, Michael, for everything you have done for this site. Phoronix is hands-down my favourite tech news site and I think I'll be purchasing a lifetime subscription in the summer when my summer job starts.

Comment

You know what? I hope he calls the next release Decorative Diarrhea, Moaning Maggot or Perverted Peacock. It is all a joke, and if someone can't look past a stupid name then let them miss out. It is very childish to be so "adult" all the time isn't it?. Relax and have some fun!
                    Last edited by waxhead; 07 May 2018, 09:48 AM.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
                    X