Emms 5.0 Released As A Big Update To The Emacs Multimedia System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I remember reading an interview with Richard Stallman and someone asked him if systemd was bad because it violated the Unix philosophy. He said he had never used it and didn't have an opinion other than supporting it because it was free software. He then pointed out the reviewer that as the primary author of GNU Emacs he was in the camp that thought the Unix philosophy was overrated.
    The Unix "philosophy" is not overrated. It is a total f*cked mess. Or more to the point, as I often say, it consists of 10% of good ideas, 10% of ideas that once made sense but are totally deprecated and anachronistic in 2018, and 80% of sheer idiocy. No wonder that Richard Stallman as well as Linus Torwalds don't think much of it.

By the way, asking RMS about the Unix "philosophy" is a sure sign that the asker knows nothing about RMS or the GNU Project. Stallman never cared for Unix. GNU means 'Gnu's Not Unix", the emphasis being on the "Not", as his first vision was an environment heavily based on Lisp, whose design, philosophy and use scenarios were light years away from anything ressembling Unix. He reluctantly switched to a Unix-like approach not because he thought that it was any good, but because it was, and still largely is, the most successful system that can support various CPU architectures. GNU was born out of Stallman's frustration that his beloved ITS became unusable when the required hardware was no longer available and he wanted the GNU project to avoid a similar fate by being able to run on a wide range of different hardware. This, and nothing else, was his motivation for using Unix as a base for his project.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Run systemd with Amlogic S912 and kernel 3.16 that has hdmi audio working (mainline kernels from does not have audio working). Systemd spams and slows down your operating system when it does not found missing functions from the kernel. Sysv works fine.

When I made a bug report about this, poettering and his followers did not care, because redhat does run only in servers while Debian runs in everywhere. So systemd is the same redhat originated shit as pulseaudo, networkmanager and gnome3.
      the Amlogic stuff we have does not run systemd (yay android) so I have not come across.

also kernel 3.16 LUXURY! (3.10.33 on ours atm)

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        Run systemd with Amlogic S912 and kernel 3.16 that has hdmi audio working (mainline kernels from does not have audio working). Systemd spams and slows down your operating system when it does not found missing functions from the kernel. Sysv works fine.
        Weird hardware and an old kernel. I wouldn't fix it for you either unless I was being paid to do it.

And it actually sounds as if your problem isn't systemd but closed software drivers. Otherwise an updated kernel would work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

The Unix "philosophy" is not overrated. It is a total f*cked mess. Or more to the point, as I often say, it consists of 10% of good ideas, 10% of ideas that once made sense but are totally deprecated and anachronistic in 2018, and 80% of sheer idiocy. No wonder that Richard Stallman as well as Linus Torwalds don't think much of it.

By the way, asking RMS about the Unix "philosophy" is a sure sign that the asker knows nothing about RMS or the GNU Project. Stallman never cared for Unix. GNU means 'Gnu's Not Unix", the emphasis being on the "Not", as his first vision was an environment heavily based on Lisp, whose design, philosophy and use scenarios were light years away from anything ressembling Unix. He reluctantly switched to a Unix-like approach not because he thought that it was any good, but because it was, and still largely is, the most successful system that can support various CPU architectures. GNU was born out of Stallman's frustration that his beloved ITS became unusable when the required hardware was no longer available and he wanted the GNU project to avoid a similar fate by being able to run on a wide range of different hardware. This, and nothing else, was his motivation for using Unix as a base for his project.
          A Lisp environment... like Sawfish?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            Each of course has its own interpretation of what open source is, or should be, and from where they stand, the other guys' stance seems totally irrational and misguided. And vice versa.
            And how is this any different from any other religious war? Appealing to a higher authority is as old as humanity, itself.

At least, in these cases, you can theoretically debate these matters on their practical merits and remove notions like "open sourceiness" that are just bludgeons with which to beat the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

A Lisp environment... like Sawfish?
              Like Emacs, are most importantly like the LMI Lambda and similar machines.

Comment

Working...
              X