Linux 4.17-rc3 Released As Another "Pretty Normal" Weekly Test Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.17-rc3 Released As Another "Pretty Normal" Weekly Test Release

Phoronix: Linux 4.17-rc3 Released As Another "Pretty Normal" Weekly Test Release

Linus Torvalds announced just now the latest installment of the "Fearless Coyote"... The Linux 4.17-rc3 kernel is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

good news: some amdgpu fixes since rc2. bad news: suspend/resume still doesn't work on 2400G.

Good job Michael on bringing this news 10 minutes after Linus tagged git. This site's got the Linux news updates posted pretty darn quick for a one man operation, looking at the first page you'd think it's some major site with a staff of 100 journalists.

Comment

I wonder what will be the next LTS kernel version.

Comment

Linux 5.0 will probably be the LTS version. And 4.17 could be released as 5.0. But then again we could see 4.40 before 5.0.

we've passed the six
        million git objects mark, and that is reason enough to call the next
        kernel 5.0. Except I probably won't, because I don't want to be too
        predictable. The version numbers are meaningless, which should mean
        that they don't even follow silly numerological rules - even if v3.0
        and v4.0 happened to be at the 2M and 4M mark respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          I wonder what will be the next LTS kernel version.
          Likely 4.19 or 5.0 Usually GKH picks whatever comes at the end of the year (of course he also posts his prediction during summer and that is usually last kernel of a year), even PlayStation is best selled... if not everything, during that time

Kind of, from back to school up to the end of year are most interesting times, stronKest quartal+ you know
          Last edited by dungeon; 29 April 2018, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Are these still happening in 4.17-rc3?
            https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=106194
            I can absolutely positively confirm that freedesktop bug 106194 is totally NOT fixed in 4.17rc3. I get this if the displays go to sleep by power-saving mode, the "kernel BUG at drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/../display/amdgpu_dm/amdgpu_dm.c" is still present.

I suspect that this TOTAL SCANDAL is related to why my 2400G can't wake up from suspend correctly in 4.17rc3.

As for https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/ - which of those dozen branches would be worth trying?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Mainline kernels do have a partially implemented and buggy amdgpu driver.
              How did such buggy result even pass some basic QA? It absolutely breaks normal desktop experience.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                AMD throws random patches to the mainline kernel
                Don't they test the result first?

Comment

I'm guessing that 2400g is a new critter that just "changes things". I'm finally drinking the kool aid, my 2400G build is being delivered 5/1/2018 and I'll get to experience first hand the frustrations that have dogged the rest of the early adopters of Raven Ridge since February. I was an early adopter of the 7850K chip and had to use the maligned fglrx kernel module until radeon and amdgpu caught up and made it irrelevant; that took several years. I suspect with all the attention paid to AMDGPU that it will be less than "several years" before Raven Ridge is up to snuff; I hope.

Comment

Working...
                  X