No announcement yet.

Adobe Releases 64-bit Flash For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, that came unexpected. I've got a feeling hell just froze over...

Comment

I think the stars have aligned for linux on the desktop. I know people say that a lot, to the point where it is a joke, but I think it just stopped being funny.

Basically every major application and piece of hardware can now run on linux without hassle. Even my X-Fi and Radeon cards have corporate-sponsored open source support! Now it seems like Nvidia is actually the hold out! And they were supposed to be the pinnacle linux support!

Whoever said that Sun's lack of official 64 bit support is irrelevant because of IcedTea is correct. Intrepid includes it by default and I have seen no problems. That is the beauty of open source. We don't need any corporation to compile code for us.

Even GLX, that last little piece of OpenGL was just open sourced. Now you could technically run gNewSense or some such purist distribution and have full compositing with any non-nvidia card, unless nouveau has improved in which case nearly any card.

With the recent opening up of some of Flash's specs, gnash should improve very quickly too.

Hopefully the stars will align again for DRI2 in Jaunty. Now we just got to get our OS installed by default by Dell, HP, etc. Perhaps a silver lining of this recent economic turmoil will be increased attractiveness of Open Source. I think netbooks, smartphones, and ultra-low-cost PCs are now proving to be a niche linux is very well suited for, and this will have network effects for the desktop.

I am having a hard time thinking of new goals. uhh improve boot times even more?

MP3 patents will expire by 2012, but getting broader Vorbis support is still a good idea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Lic..._patent_issues

Cheers!
      Last edited by EmbraceUnity; 17 November 2008, 12:03 PM.

Comment

I might be dumb, but what do I need to run a 64bits distro?
        I've got a Pentium E5200, is it ok?

Auxiliary question: is 64bits better in any point? Or it's just for the fun? (which would suffice me to install one )

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
          I might be dumb, but what do I need to run a 64bits distro?
          Either any AMD cpu since the Athlon 64 or an Intel Core 2.
          I've got a Pentium E5200, is it ok?
          If you mean a Core 2 Duo E5200 then yes, it supports amd64. Afaik there is nothing like a Pentium E5200, Intel dropped the Pentium-name with the introduction of the Core 2 Architecture and has only recently used it again for some very low-end dualcore cpus.
          Auxiliary question: is 64bits better in any point? Or it's just for the fun? (which would suffice me to install one )
          It's not necessarly faster than x86 (there are some advantages and some disadvantages, which eventualy weigh up each other), so the only benefit is the ability to use >= 4 GB of Ram without any hassle.

Comment

So now 64-bit users can also experience fatal Firefox crashes without the safety of nspluginwrapper saving them? Umm, woo?

Comment

lol "Phoronix effect" on Adobe Labs or what?

Damnit, I just got used to swfdec and now that!
              Has anyone tested this yet? I'll just give it a try and report my experience back...

Comment

The pentium E5200 exists, it's a perynn dual core, but with 2MB of L2 RAM.

But since it comes from perynn technology, I think it's good too for the 64bits distros

Comment

It's definatly faster and I'm comparing to my 32 bit slackware install with recompiled kernel with only the bare minimums compiled in. Desktop is alot more responsive and snappier.

Unraring is faster. And it sees all my 4GB of ram. Uses about twice the amount of ram compared to 32bit.

Comment

Okay, just installed it, didn't try too many things, but for now it works, works fast enough, and stable enough. Guess I'll keep it on my system for now

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
                      If you mean a Core 2 Duo E5200 then yes, it supports amd64. Afaik there is nothing like a Pentium E5200, Intel dropped the Pentium-name with the introduction of the Core 2 Architecture and has only recently used it again for some very low-end dualcore cpus.
                      No, the E2xxx and E5xxx processors are Pentiums, unlike the E4xxx, E6xxx, E7xxx and E8xxx processors that are Core 2 Duo processors. You can see them here: http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=2841. Despite the marketing trickery they're actually well performing and deserve the rating.

Comment

Working...
                      X