No announcement yet.

BUS1 Still Remains Out Of The Mainline Linux Kernel, But DBus-Broker Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUS1 Still Remains Out Of The Mainline Linux Kernel, But DBus-Broker Continues

Phoronix: BUS1 Still Remains Out Of The Mainline Linux Kernel, But DBus-Broker Continues

The BUS1 in-kernel IPC mechanism born out of the ashes of KDBUS still hasn't been mainlined in the Linux kernel, but its code is still improved upon from time to time. At least though DBus-Broker as a new performance-oriented D-Bus implementation continues gaining ground in user-space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As I said it is going to be another failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      As I said it is going to be another failure.
      Sorry if it's stupid, just trying to understand..
      We use Binder every day on Android, it's a very powerful feature. Why not simply merge the Android Binder code ?

Comment

DBUS broker is definitely picking up speed https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chang...ableDbusBroker

Comment

Okay. So Fedora 27 has a dbus-broker rpm. IF installed, would dbus-broker live alongside dbus, or somehow replace it? I'm reluctant to find out....

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
            Okay. So Fedora 27 has a dbus-broker rpm. IF installed, would dbus-broker live alongside dbus, or somehow replace it? I'm reluctant to find out....
            You can install it alongside the reference dbus. It will "replace" the reference dbus in the sense of which implementation gets started by enabling it via systemd service. But you can easily revert it again by disabling it.

Comment

Originally posted by sirblackheart View Post
              We use Binder every day on Android, it's a very powerful feature. Why not simply merge the Android Binder code ?
              The Linux desktop guys suffer from the NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post
                The Linux desktop guys suffer from the NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome.
                Binder is synchronous. An asynchronous message bus is desired.

Comment

So where is the hold-up? Last i saw a presentation about bus1 it seemed very nice, is it too complex to use or is the code just not ready yet for mainlining?

Comment

Originally posted by wagaf View Post

AFAIK it's only suited for small data transmission.

Comment

Working...
                    X