Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.17-rc1 Kernel Released: A Ton Of New Functionality While Shedding Old Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.17-rc1 Kernel Released: A Ton Of New Functionality While Shedding Old Code

Phoronix: Linux 4.17-rc1 Kernel Released: A Ton Of New Functionality While Shedding Old Code

Just like clockwork the Linux 4.17-rc1 kernel was released tonight following the two week long merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The kernel codename remains stuck with the Fearless Coyote.
    He should name this one as Cleaning Season or Ditchero Billy
    Last edited by dungeon; 15 April 2018, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Hmm, so I'm running 4.17-rc1 but I'm not seeing OpenCL support. Anyone have ideas on how to get it going?

Comment

Am I correct in saying the removal of obsolete CPU architectures only really affects people who compile their kernel from source?

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
          Am I correct in saying the removal of obsolete CPU architectures only really affects people who compile their kernel from source?
          People running those architectures will no longer be able to run the latest kernels, you can't just set a compiler option.

Comment

Deleting not as often used code helps nearly nobody, they should just leave it in peace, deleting it only makes it harder to keep it maintained or bring it back to live. Hardware does not become obsolete, only vintage and museum worthy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMHTKzpqrys

Comment

Not them specifically but people who use hardware that is both obsolete and obscure.

Comment

Yes, if you are not user of those removed features/platforms - it would not affect you anyhow, in either positive or negative way.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                  Deleting not as often used code helps nearly nobody, they should just leave it in peace, deleting it only makes it harder to keep it maintained or bring it back to live. Hardware does not become obsolete, only vintage and museum worthy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMHTKzpqrys
                  That will only lead to bitrot and an ever growing kernel. How do you maintain code for which there is no actual test system? "It compiles" isn't good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                    Hardware does not become obsolete, only vintage and museum worthy
                    A vintage system does not need an up-to-date kernel.

Comment

Working...
                    X