Linux 4.17 Offers Some Promising Power-Savings Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
    The expected carbon emissions in that article are scary to .
    I'm conflicted about these types of things, on one side I see the shitstorm coming, on the other I see a pretty strong incentive to finally colonizing space (which would be the easiest long-term solution to most of humanity's issues).

It's better than just cringing about how better would the situation be if the idiots of the "green" movements would have stfu and let nuclear power take over back in the nineties as it should have, at least.

Comment

I'm one of those dreaded European greenies and I support nuclear power, with the approriate caveats (technical and political). IMSRs look promising, finally.

I'm also happy to see any progress in power management (and sad about the state of the ARM ecosystem from software POV) and choose power-saving hardware with performance-per-watt in mind. Thanks Michael for the benchmarks.

And if any googleites are within earshot, please fix your search page's CPU-throttling CSS bug this instant. Think in terms of billions of CPU cores and megawatts wasted. Doesn't anyone over there care?

Comment

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
        I'm one of those dreaded European greenies and I support nuclear power, with the approriate caveats (technical and political). IMSRs look promising, finally.
        The window of opportunity for that was in the nineties, being "pro-nuclear" now, dreaming about designs that aren't even in operation yet is pointless.

Comment

Wow, amazing! Just installed 4.17rc from git and have noticed idle usage drop. It's now below 5W on my Core i5-7200U!

Comment

Is auto-hibernation a feature/automatically enabled yet?

I'm a student in school and I can't afford to have a constantly changing OS setup, so I stick to windows. But, every vacation week I get, I install Linux, to see if anything has changed.
            Last time I checked, auto-hibernate was not a feature in Ubuntu, Fedora, or Manjaro. I'm not particularly good with the command line so I have no clue how to enable it in tlp.

Auto-hibernate is a huge feature for me, because I'm opening and closing my laptop all the time. I have no clue when I will give my laptop time to go into hibernation or not. I just need to trust that it will. The last time I tried linux and made the mistake of not hibernating on time, my laptop was dead 2 days later, when I needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              I'm conflicted about these types of things, on one side I see the shitstorm coming, on the other I see a pretty strong incentive to finally colonizing space (which would be the easiest long-term solution to most of humanity's issues).

It's better than just cringing about how better would the situation be if the idiots of the "green" movements would have stfu and let nuclear power take over back in the nineties as it should have, at least.
              This reads like an excellent start of a sci-fi movie

But yeah, most green movements really don't move much, but sometimes they actually hit something with significant impact. I mostly stick to just being interested and reconize the global depencies and interests, resulting in something like: "crap, I can't do crap about it".

Comment

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post

I'm also happy to see any progress in power management (and sad about the state of the ARM ecosystem from software POV) and choose power-saving hardware with performance-per-watt in mind. Thanks Michael for the benchmarks.

And if any googleites are within earshot, please fix your search page's CPU-throttling CSS bug this instant. Think in terms of billions of CPU cores and megawatts wasted. Doesn't anyone over there care?
                Nothing wrong with trying to live green or being from Europe (from europe to), I'm kinda aiming for pragmatic green-ish and appreciating people who actually take the extra steps.

Comment

With kernel 4.17rc1 I get a black screen that flickers when repainting after resuming from suspend. Not usable at the moment! This is on Kaby Lake. Anyone else have better luck?

Comment

One must think of the power savings globally for this kernel change like a change in the car fuel economy laws. It's impact can't be measured until a majority of the prior generation has been removed. In this case, short a major backporting effort, it could be 4 years or so. Major corporate linux in datacenter users typically replace by generations of releases. If the OS doesn't release a backport, then the benefits won't be seen until the platform is replaced and rehosted.

The auto fuel economy laws passed in the US in the early 80's didn't really drive net usage down until about 5-7 years later when the guzzlers finished their life cycle and left the roads permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                      Wow, amazing! Just installed 4.17rc from git and have noticed idle usage drop. It's now below 5W on my Core i5-7200U!
                      What is your normal idle power consumption? i.e. how much better is it now?
                      EDIT: the savings on the idle test from this report seem to be about 20%, and for a similar processor. I'd sure like to see the idle state 0 data for this test.

So far, the larger idle system power savings have been on bigger systems, with many 10s of CPUs. Drastic improvement in idle system power consumption for smaller systems is not an expected outcome. One also has to be careful how they define "idle", as they can be quite different between a server with minimal services running and a desktop with a GUI.

For my older i7-2600k server (with most services disabled. i.e. really very "idle") I get 3.6% processor package power saved.
                      However for the Phoronix hiemno test (Single, CPU intensive, thread) gives 1.1% increased performance and a 9.3% processor package power improvement.
                      Last edited by dsmythies; 18 April 2018, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X