Subversion 1.10 Released With LZ4 Compression, New Conflict Resolver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subversion 1.10 Released With LZ4 Compression, New Conflict Resolver

Phoronix: Subversion 1.10 Released With LZ4 Compression, New Conflict Resolver

For those still using Subversion for revision control system for cases like managing of large files or dealing with legacy code-bases, the Apache Subversion 1.10 release is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"those still using Subversion", GIT is not the end all be all solution to revision control. Not everyone works in a highly distributed development environment which is where git apparently shines.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
      "those still using Subversion", GIT is not the end all be all solution to revision control. Not everyone works in a highly distributed development environment which is where git apparently shines.
      +1. I chose Subversion for my latest project, and would you call LLVM a "legacy codebase"?

Comment

I much prefer SVN for normal work, GIT is way to complicated / cryptic beyond the usual few commits. Each time I need to do something more I need to google it's esoteric and cryptic command line options first, ..!

Comment

I prefer not to rely on a centralized server to manage commits, even if working alone. That's the end of it. Any other methodology seems absolutely batshit crazy from an architectural point of view.

Comment

Interesting to see that people are still using SVN. I thought that the people who didn't move to Git moved to Mercurial instead...

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
              I much prefer SVN for normal work, GIT is way to complicated / cryptic beyond the usual few commits. Each time I need to do something more I need to google it's esoteric and cryptic command line options first, ..!
              Any example?

Comment

Everytime I need to do more than commit and update with SVN I need to google the available commands first... OTOH since I have been working with Git for quite some time now, I don't need to google many "esoteric and cryptic commands".

Comment

This is why I prefer Mercurial. I get the distributed nature that IMO makes version control better, and I don't have insane command syntax.

And, with simple extensions, Mercurial speaks Git and SVN protocols, so it's a better client for both SVN and Git.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Any example?
                    "git checkout -- ."

Don't get me wrong, I like git, and ATM at my new work I choose it for a new project even though I know I gotta migrate it to SVN at some point, just because they are using it for all other projects (though I'll try to make them change their mind).

But when I say "I like it", it's because I became good at git. This, however, doesn't change that when I was learning, I never could guess how to do something, and wild guesses on behavior of some random command almost always were wrong. However flexible and great git is, but its command line interface is awful.

Comment

Working...
                    X