Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRUB Boot-Loader Picks Up Support For F2FS File-System

Phoronix: GRUB Boot-Loader Picks Up Support For F2FS File-System

The GRUB2 boot-loader now has support for the Flash-Friendly File-System so it can boot to systems formatted with F2FS as the root file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    OpenMandriva amon other distributions while now is upstream in GRUB Git.

Comment

I'm waiting to boot with grub a btrfs "zstd" volume. Hope this will land soon as well :-)

Comment

This article doesn't describe it quite right though - you've always been able to boot _to_ a F2FS filesystem, what they've fixed here is that /boot also can lie on a F2FS filesystem.

Edit: I see the article got updated
        Last edited by blae; 11 April 2018, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Is it worth migrating from ext4 to f2fs on a PCIe SSD?
          I'm running ext4 on it currently since that was what I used on my HDD back when I migrated.
          f2fs seem to have stabilized the past few years, but is the impact from the improved speed and better health of my ssd significant enough to be worth it?

Comment

Finally! when will be it possible to select F2FS on USBs drives installation?

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              I'm waiting to boot with grub a btrfs "zstd" volume. Hope this will land soon as well :-)
              I already do that, unless you mean that /boot is in btrfs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                In the meantime, a possible stop-gag solution, is to use the "btrfs filesystem defragment" with the "-c" parameter to switch the compression of important files to something that GRUB already supports.

Or as geearf mentions : mount on /boot a different volume that isn't a "btrfs compressed with Zstd by default".

Comment

finally

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
                    Is it worth migrating from ext4 to f2fs on a PCIe SSD?
                    I'm running ext4 on it currently since that was what I used on my HDD back when I migrated.
                    f2fs seem to have stabilized the past few years, but is the impact from the improved speed and better health of my ssd significant enough to be worth it?
                    I'd say don't. F2fs makes the most difference on devices where the controller sucks, like SDcards or USB flash drives, or eMMC in smartphones.

On a SSD the storage controller is powerful enough that the difference between ext4 and f2fs isn't so clear-cut.

Comment

Working...
                    X