No announcement yet.

Linux 4.17 Gets PhoenixRC Flight Controller Support & PS/2 Mouse Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.17 Gets PhoenixRC Flight Controller Support & PS/2 Mouse Improvements

Phoronix: Linux 4.17 Gets PhoenixRC Flight Controller Support & PS/2 Mouse Improvements

From several of the pull requests covered on Phoronix this week for the in-progress Linux 4.17 kernel, there are many areas seeing improved hardware/device support with this next kernel upgrade, including the input drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PS/2 keyboards have ALWAYS been better for gaming. It sits on the interrupt bus compared to USBs polling which generally introduces latency. Whats surprising is the fact it wasnt always on gaming motherboards.
    Hi

Comment

Heh. Meanwhile on Appleland, they decided unilaterally and without any warning, to stop supporting USB Displaylink adapters, to the dismay of the port impaired, Apple laptop users.

Hey, you're all welcome here, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        Heh. Meanwhile on Appleland, they decided unilaterally and without any warning, to stop supporting USB Displaylink adapters, to the dismay of the port impaired, Apple laptop users.

Hey, you're all welcome here, BTW.
        Except that DisplayLink is some hacked together proprietary junk that's never actually had decent support on macOS, and only has a proprietary binary blob for Linux. Good chance to have a dig in some random unrelated thread though right?

Comment

Oh, I didn't expect Apple apologists to be here too, reading random comments in random threads :-)

Comment

Most of these usb devices see like they would be great matches for user-space drivers via libusb or similar. Putting them in kernel space seems like something we do today mostly because we did it yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
              PS/2 keyboards have ALWAYS been better for gaming. It sits on the interrupt bus compared to USBs polling which generally introduces latency. Whats surprising is the fact it wasnt always on gaming motherboards.
              At 300Hz that USB mouses can update in, it doesn't REALLY matter though.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

At 300Hz that USB mouses can update in, it doesn't REALLY matter though.
                While the article is about mouses, I was making a point that PS/2 ports are making a resurgence for KB's in general because gamer's prefer them. The mouses are differant. I dont know the meat of it all, but it's unsurprising to me at least it's being phoenixed.

Interesingly, the mouse in the picture is a USB mouse, with a PS/2 adaptor, not a PS/2 mouse. Woner if thay makes a differance. I also recall PS/2 ports having issues with hot replugging and that linux had addressed the issue years before Windows, which I think happened around 2000/XP era.
                Hi

Comment

Typo:
                  Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  [/URL]support for a second week on the ATech PS/2 mouse
                  Was supposed to be "wheel" I guess.

Comment

Working...
                  X