Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS File-System Gets A Lost & Found, Performance Enhancements

Phoronix: F2FS File-System Gets A Lost & Found, Performance Enhancements

The explicitly flash-focused F2FS file-system is the latest noteworthy pull request on its way to the mainline Linux 4.17 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For now I lost all data on a 256GB microsd because f2fs could not recover it. But that's actually all thanks to the buggy sdhci-pci driver. Used from an odroid xu4, exported as an NBD (over wifi!), it actually has no problems with f2fs itself. f2fs itself seems quite reliable, as long as the block driver is also reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
      For now I lost all data on a 256GB microsd because f2fs could not recover it. But that's actually all thanks to the buggy sdhci-pci driver. Used from an odroid xu4, exported as an NBD (over wifi!), it actually has no problems with f2fs itself. f2fs itself seems quite reliable, as long as the block driver is also reliable.
      microsd cards are the most unreliable tech thing ever invented, data corruption happens everytime

Comment

I tested on a SSD in sata and lost only half of my data ... reliability of the underlying hardware is important but the FS should be reliable as well.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

microsd cards are the most unreliable tech thing ever invented, data corruption happens everytime
          Actually, I've had more data corruption with USB sticks than with MicroSD cards, but MicroSD cards are near the bottom of my "most reliable tech" list so I kind of agree with you.

Comment

I think the naming of the fsync option is rather unfortunate, I'd prefer "normal" and "relaxed" instead of "strict" and "POSIX"...

Comment

According to the latest on the F2FS git, none other than Linus Torvalds himself has taken an interest in improving F2FS and has submitted quite a bit of work in adding features and improving performance.

Comment

Working...
              X