Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.16 Kernel Officially Released With Many Driver Improvements, Performance Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.16 Kernel Officially Released With Many Driver Improvements, Performance Tuning

Phoronix: Linux 4.16 Kernel Officially Released With Many Driver Improvements, Performance Tuning

Linus Torvalds has gone ahead and released Linux 4.16 as an Easter and April Fool's Day kernel update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

no matter what they add to the kernel the new hardware you buy won't be fully supported by the newest kernel. Last time the drm changes from intel caused screen tearing on my notebook making it unusable and it lasted about halve a year. Yes, halve of a goddamn year. Thats why Im always skeptical reading about the new shiny "changes" in the kernel. But hey, at least people are kept busy writing about them, right?

Comment

Originally posted by flux242 View Post
        no matter what they add to the kernel the new hardware you buy won't be fully supported by the newest kernel. Last time the drm changes from intel caused screen tearing on my notebook making it unusable and it lasted about halve a year. Yes, halve of a goddamn year. Thats why Im always skeptical reading about the new shiny "changes" in the kernel. But hey, at least people are kept busy writing about them, right?
        I feel your pain! I have a great AMD based system using Ryzen Mobile that has an issue with keyboard / track pad lock ups. . Been running the latest Ubuntu and thought the problem was gone and then it cam back after an update. What is frustrating is that other wise this is a great Linux platform, fast with a very good GPU.

By the way i fully expected bleeding edge problems when i purchased the machine but as you say six months later we still have the same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by flux242 View Post
          Ok and whose fault is this?

Comment

Are all the features listed in the past thread present?
            https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-changes&num=1

I mean the above thread...

Now, I hope that this kernel will be used in the next distros' release.

Comment

Working...
            X