Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seven Reasons To Already Get Excited For Linux 4.17, Especially For AMD/Radeon Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven Reasons To Already Get Excited For Linux 4.17, Especially For AMD/Radeon Users

Phoronix: Seven Reasons To Already Get Excited For Linux 4.17, Especially For AMD/Radeon Users

While Linux 4.16 is coming in the next few days, I am already quite excited about the upcoming Linux 4.17 kernel cycle and the changes it will bring...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be nice if you could provide a guide how to do the pstate modifications (Wattman) once you do the tests.

Comment

The only "exciting" feature I am waiting for is stability. The mean time between amdgpu-related system crashes is still well below 1 week for me - and that is without playing any games.

Comment

All good news for sure.
        I purchased a new Lenovo laptop with a AMD A12 APU powered. I chose Lenovo because they are generally Linux friendly. Hopefully it will have good support.

Comment

From github:

Originally posted by tekcomm
          Vega users will have to run the 4.17 kernel or a 4.15 patched with KFD support. As of march 26 the kfd patches for the Vegas and kfd were accepted into the mainline.
          ROCm - Open Source Platform for HPC and Ultrascale GPU Computing

Comment

So with kernel 4.17 I can now use AMDGPU by default for GCN 1.0 cards? Or do I need to still do modesetting?

Comment

"don't hold your breath on older GPUs not supported by ROCm, but the community can at least still revive Clover."

ROCm is open source. People can contribute to and extend it as well. In a lot of cases, adding support for an older GPU is just adding PCI IDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                So with kernel 4.17 I can now use AMDGPU by default for GCN 1.0 cards? Or do I need to still do modesetting?
                Only GCN1.1 and higher are supported by DC

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                  I don't think Michael said anything about amdgpu and GCN 1.0 - not aware of any change in defaults.
                  Test signature

Comment

he quoted "all", so people may have assumed.

Comment

Working...
                    X