Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.16-rc5 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 4.16-rc5 Kernel Released

Development on the Linux 4.16 kernel continues moving along smoothly and tonight the 4.16-rc5 kernel is released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Given the addition of more Spectre and Meltdown patches to kernel 4.16, and given that the 4.16 dev cycle "continue[s] to be pretty normal" (compared to 4.15), I hope that Ubuntu will release 18.04 LTS with 4.16 instead of 4.15.

Why would Ubuntu want to support kernel 4.15 (procreated during an unholy clusterf#ck of a dev cycle, and already requiring significant Spectre and Meltdown backports) in an LTS, when kernel 4.16 will almost certainly be released before the “kernel freeze” for Bionic Beaver, which is set for April 12th?

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post
      Given the addition of more Spectre and Meltdown patches to kernel 4.16, and given that the 4.16 dev cycle "continue[s] to be pretty normal" (compared to 4.15), I hope that Ubuntu will release 18.04 LTS with 4.16 instead of 4.15.

Why would Ubuntu want to support kernel 4.15 (procreated during an unholy clusterf#ck of a dev cycle, and already requiring significant Spectre and Meltdown backports) in an LTS, when kernel 4.16 will almost certainly be released before the “kernel freeze” for Bionic Beaver, which is set for April 12th?
      Wouldn't an LTS release go with an LTS kernel?(4.14) Why are they going with 4.15?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
        Wouldn't an LTS release go with an LTS kernel?(4.14) Why are they going with 4.15?
        While doing so would seem to make sense, no, Ubuntu doesn't typically aim to release an Ubuntu LTS with an LTS kernel. Rather, Ubuntu LTS usually releases with the most recent kernel that was available a month or two before the projected Ubuntu release date, which comports with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS likely being released with kernel 4.15.

As to why Ubuntu doesn't typically aim to release an Ubuntu LTS with an LTS kernel, my guess is that reasoning goes something like: Ubuntu LTS will be supported much longer than most any LTS kernel will be supported (with a few "extended LTS" exceptions), so why bother?

But I still can't imagine why Ubuntu would want to support 4.15 (procreated during an unholy clusterf#ck of a dev cycle, and already requiring significant Spectre and Meltdown backports) in an LTS, when kernel 4.16 will almost certainly be released before the “kernel freeze” for Bionic Beaver, which is set for April 12th. Even if a 18.04 has a few minor kernel bugs that couldn't be caught in the two or three weeks before release, I don't see a big problem; Anyone requiring maximum stability will wait to install 18.04.1, if not later.

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post
          Anyone requiring maximum stability will wait to install 18.04.1, if not later.
          I guess anyone requiring maximum stability wouldn't use Ubuntu at all, but I get what you mean. Ubuntu is not my cup of tea in general, but I agree with you: they should go with 4.16 if at all possible.

Comment

has the IO/reading improvement been integrated such as mentioned in this thread?
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
            Last edited by Azrael5; 12 March 2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

I guess anyone requiring maximum stability wouldn't use Ubuntu at all, but I get what you mean. Ubuntu is not my cup of tea in general, but I agree with you: they should go with 4.16 if at all possible.
              Agreed. I can't imagine things improving if they decide to use 4.15 for LTS.

Ubuntu was my favorite distribution for many years, since 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog), their April releases are usually close to my birthday. I was very excited when trying new releases and sometimes ran/test Alpha versions. Today I only find it useful for new users with Nvidia GPUs, but that's slowly changing too. Their community is still very useful and friendly, but the OS itself has been a big disappointment over the past ~4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Exactly my question. But Canonical's LTS isn't really all that much LTS anyway except for the support period. I mean: if they really wanted to LTS the LTS, then they'd switch to the LTS kernel, Firefox ESR and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                  Maybe Linus should accomodate Ubuntu's schedule and just release it early. Wont really be stable until 4.16.10 or so anyways. And that version will probably break nVidia drivers again. 🤯

18.05 would disrupt the entire ecosystem... of egomaniacal beotches playing big boss. Shuttleworth has more green toilet paper, er, um, money I mean, than Torvalds so he's big boss, so sorry.
                  18.05 would disrupt the ecosystem, but 18.06 could work, given the fact that they've done that before with 6.06

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                    Ubuntu was my favorite distribution for many years, since 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog) [...] but the OS itself has been a big disappointment over the past ~4 years.
                    What is your new favorite?

Comment

Working...
                    X