Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Early Look At Linux 4.16 Performance On Five Systems

Phoronix: An Early Look At Linux 4.16 Performance On Five Systems

Here are some preliminary benchmarks of the Linux 4.16 development kernel compared to Linux 4.15 stable on five different systems.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo?:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    This testing is just intended as a disverse range of tests to compare Linux 4.15 stable

Comment

those charts' legend text for yellow is very hard to read !

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000 View Post
        those charts' legend text for yellow is very hard to read !
        _+1_ …

Comment

Page 1: I wonder if those regressions are present if you turn off all Spectre/Meltdown mitigations. They seem to be appearing near when whatever iteration of retpoline was pushed for the masses. Ubuntu is especially late on these patches. As these mitigations are still being worked on, "pure" kernel performance is hard to be seen. Performance may go up and down any moment.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            Page 1: I wonder if those regressions are present if you turn off all Spectre/Meltdown mitigations. They seem to be appearing near when whatever iteration of retpoline was pushed for the masses. Ubuntu is especially late on these patches. As these mitigations are still being worked on, "pure" kernel performance is hard to be seen. Performance may go up and down any moment.
            Initial Retpoline support for x86_64 landed last month, not at the start of February, albeit other Retpo/kpti improvements in 4.16.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

No...the yelllow text is NOT hard to read. It's IMPOSSIBLE to read. Might want to rethink that color Michael. Thanks for the testing none the less. Very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                No...the yelllow text is NOT hard to read. It's IMPOSSIBLE to read. Might want to rethink that color Michael. Thanks for the testing none the less. Very interesting.
                I didn't come up with the color. It was auto-generated by PTS when running out of other colors, albeit should enhance that logic to try to come up with a better color selection algorithm but it's a constant struggle.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael, I can read it, but if I were to change it I'd use matplotlib's new color tableau:
                  https://github.com/matplotlib/matplo...or_data.py#L19
                  and then cycle over linestyles/hatch-pattern when running out of colors.

EDIT: impressive work as always!

Comment

How did the i5 beat the i7 in many tests?

Comment

Working...
                    X