Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.15-ck1 Released With MuQSS 0.170

Phoronix: Linux 4.15-ck1 Released With MuQSS 0.170

Con Kolivas announced the release today of his patched Linux 4.15 kernel that includes the MuQSS scheduler, his successor to the BFS scheduler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Makes me wonder if there's benchmark tools to test the behavior.... would be interesting to see MuQSS vs Mainline vs distros (since distros, at least Clear Linux, do tune the scheduler)

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post
      Makes me wonder if there's benchmark tools to test the behavior.... would be interesting to see MuQSS vs Mainline vs distros (since distros, at least Clear Linux, do tune the scheduler)
      Benchmarks are for speed, the problem with the Linux desktop is responsiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Benchmarks are for speed, the problem with the Linux desktop is responsiveness.
        Having been an enthusiastic user of MuQSS for quite some time now, I have obviously done extensive testing. If nothing else, by simply using it alone. Also comparing it to the mainline CPU scheduler (CFS).

And even out of the box, obviously responsiveness is far better with MuQSS but I have actually also found that even throughput can and does benefit from MuQSS. Particularly this latest version seems to do a lot of good work.

Personally running it with
        Code:
        interactive 1
        rr_interval 1
        yield_type 2
        and
        Code:
        rqshare=mc
        and like that, it's so much better than stock. For both throughput as well as latency. Even though such highly latency focused settings might suggest only latency benefiting, almost anything I do with this PC is just faster and smoother than stock CFS. I know Con has kind of given up on trying to get his work mainlined but if I had anything to say about it, I would dump CFS the first chance I got, in favor of MuQSS. Because unlike CFS, MuQSS can actually be configured to suit your personal needs.

CFS is just fire and forget. Mostly forgetting about getting any kind of comfortable experience out of it.

Comment

I used BFS back when I was still on a dual core CPU. It was a big improvement.

I gave MuQSS a try last week on 4.14. The desktop (Plasma) becomes unusable after a while. It freezes for several seconds, especially when playing a video. When playing two videos at the same time, it can freeze up completely.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post

I gave MuQSS a try last week on 4.14. The desktop (Plasma) becomes unusable after a while. It freezes for several seconds, especially when playing a video. When playing two videos at the same time, it can freeze up completely.
            Not seeing that behaviour at all while using MATE. What video player is this with? I'm wondering whether it might be the video player and not so much the DE.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post

I've been using MuQSS on both 4.14 and 4.15, in Plasma. Haven't seen anything even like that.

The only problem I have is occasionally when the system goes to sleep it won't wake up.

Comment

I used to be a big fan of BFS. I did put my system to its knees by running a simple ffmpeg encoding job with 4.14. There is no scheduling priority tweeking that I could do that would fix the problem. With linux-ck my system became unusable for the time the encoding lasted. With previous versions of linux-ck, it used to do a great job to maintain a good responsiveness with a loaded system. I unfortunately cannot say the same with MuQSS...

Ok, I have just read the release notes on Kolivas blog. He has apparently address the issue that I have just described... It is worth it to give it a second try!
                Last edited by lano1106; 19 February 2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
                  I used to be a big fan of BFS. I did put my system to its knees by running a simple ffmpeg encoding job with 4.14. There is no scheduling priority tweeking that I could do that would fix the problem. With linux-ck my system became unusable for the time the encoding lasted. With previous versions of linux-ck, it used to do a great job to maintain a good responsiveness with a loaded system. I unfortunately cannot say the same with MuQSS...

Ok, I have just read the release notes on Kolivas blog. He has apparently address the issue that I have just described... It is worth it to give it a second try!
                  Alternatively, you could consider Liquorix. Which is a more carefully weighed approach to what Con is doing with his ck kernel. It does use MuQSS and everything but it's just more carefully balanced. Slightly different kernel configuration and such. linux-ck is basically Liquorix-on-steroids, from personal experience anyhow.

Comment

Working...
                  X