F2FS Sees An Assortment Of File-System Improvements With Linux 4.16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS Sees An Assortment Of File-System Improvements With Linux 4.16

Phoronix: F2FS Sees An Assortment Of File-System Improvements With Linux 4.16

With each Linux kernel cycle the F2FS file-system that has been part of the mainline kernel now for five years, this "Flash-Friendly File-System" gets a bit more mature and featureful...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there many Phoronix readers here using F2FS? What's your feedback? Do you think it is mature enough to do the switch from EXT4? What are the risk of data loss?

Comment

I recently hosed an reinstalled my Linux system, I was looking at F2FS because my system just uses SSDs. But in the end I decided against it, I can't remember the reason exactly now, I just went with BTRFS.

Is F2FS a good fit for desktop machines with SSDs? Is it a good performer in comparison to the other filesystems? And can most of the bootloaders mount it as a root filesystem ok (I use systemd-boot)?

Comment

It's as safe as EXT4 that it's based upon & neither is enterprise partition type. So risk is real but minimal. Regards performance I am certain you can find enough data hire.

I am looking forward to see impact of currently merging changes.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          I recently hosed an reinstalled my Linux system, I was looking at F2FS because my system just uses SSDs. But in the end I decided against it, I can't remember the reason exactly now, I just went with BTRFS.

Is F2FS a good fit for desktop machines with SSDs? Is it a good performer in comparison to the other filesystems? And can most of the bootloaders mount it as a root filesystem ok (I use systemd-boot)?
          last time i tried on desktop, F2Fs cant handle power outages[corruption /loss of infromation(mostly)], on evo 250 ssd, switched to btrfs

but still use it one all flash drive[need its encryption]

Comment

I have found F2FS to be very unreliable with unclean shutdowns / power failures. I have gotten data loss.

That said, the last time I tried it was maybe 10 kernel versions ago, but I doubt much has changed since then.

I use btrfs, because, even though it is slower, I have *never* had any data loss with it. I use btrfs for pretty much all my storage, except my server's HDD array, which is ZFS. Some of those filesystems see *a lot* of unclean shutdowns. No problems at all.

Also, compression (especially now with zstd support), subvolumes, snapshots, reflinks, deduplication, etc. are all great features to have, which other filesystems lack.

Comment

only thing, btrfs is missing ie..encryption which f2fs has

Comment

Originally posted by samdraz View Post
                only thing, btrfs is missing ie..encryption which f2fs has
                You can enable hardware encryption on a lot of SSD drives though

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  And can most of the bootloaders mount it as a root filesystem ok (I use systemd-boot)?
                  If you use systemd-boot you have the kernel in the UEFI partition, so whatever filesystem for root is fine.

Comment

I actually use F2FS on a Seagate SMR Archive 8TB drive for some media storage. I find it to be quite decent in performance with read speeds of ~170MB/s and write of ~130MB/s for larger files, which is pretty good for a cheap high capacity spinning disk I think. If you were using as it as a system drive it would be just plain awful I'd imagine. I haven't had any problems with this configuration since the 4.4 kernel but the issues were in relation to the drive and not the file system. As for data loss I have a UPS so that problem has never arisen for me. Yes I am probably crazy for using F2FS on a spinning disk

Comment

Working...
                    X