Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Is Acquiring CoreOS

Phoronix: Red Hat Is Acquiring CoreOS

Red Hat's betting big on the container game getting bigger with making public this afternoon their agreement to acquire CoreOS for $250 million USD...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...quiring-CoreOS

Whoa!

Comment

Expect CRI-O on CoreOS now..

Comment

Sorry to hear that... I was working at a rather large corporation that was running Red Hat servers. At the time it was really the only commercially viable option for Linux... but everything sucked. Every package seemed like it was 4 years old and installing unsanctioned RPMs would violate the terms of service and you could lose support. It was a horrible experience... and that is coming from someone who was also maintaining AIX, HP-UX, and Solaris environments. At first I thought that maybe I was somehow not getting something, because Red Hat is/was so popular... then I talked to some friends that work at one of the largest high frequency trading companies in the world and they were bitching about the same thing. There must be a reason we never see Red Hat tested on Phoronix. Anyway, seeing them buy companies makes me feel bad for those companies... but I wish them the best.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
          There must be a reason we never see Red Hat tested on Phoronix.
          Because I don't have any RHEL subscription due to cost? So only test Fedora and SL/CentOS.... But I have nothing against RHEL itself.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

At the time it was really the only commercially viable option for Linux... but everything sucked.
            so it was the best choice back then and is the best choice now (judging by revenue), but you are still complaining
            There must be a reason we never see Red Hat tested on Phoronix.
            the reason is trivial: centos is same code without paid support(also acquired by redhat btw)
            Last edited by pal666; 01-30-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

It would be nice of them to offer you a licence...

Comment

You don't need a license for development use, only production. Arguably benchmarking and evaluation is not production use.

https://developers.redhat.com/products/rhel/download/

Comment

I can understand why they'd do this, but that much? Sounds like they're badly overpaying for the company so I really do hope the 250 million figure is misleading (i.e it's actually something like a stock trade where the number of Red Hat shares is increased and the purchase is paid in these new Red Hat shares).
                  "Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

Comment

Aaaand it's gone! rofl

Comment

Working...
                    X