Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block Updates Land In The Linux 4.16 Kernel

Phoronix: Block Updates Land In The Linux 4.16 Kernel

The block subsystem updates have now landed in Linus Torvalds' Git tree during the first full day of the Linux 4.16 kernel merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anybody really use SMR HDDs for anything but archiving? I have yet to hear fond words (that aren't marketing) about this technique.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      Does anybody really use SMR HDDs for anything but archiving? I have yet to hear fond words (that aren't marketing) about this technique.
      They're not that much slower, at least for home users. Lots of random IOPS will kill the perf, but they can handle stuff like copying masses of files and extracting archives just fine. Assuming the OS buffers the I/O first.

Comment

Good to see performance improvements as Linux is an industrial strength operating system used in the most demanding environments.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          They're not that much slower, at least for home users.
          Right, home users. Just don't dare try running something like a decent sized database, with lots of updates, or even a rather small number of VMs.

SMR is fine to replace tape, optical discs, and basically anything that's highly read-biased. But it doesn't take many random writes before you're swamped.

Comment

There isn't any "breakthrough" new block features for Linux 4.16 but the block optimizations are notable and I look forward to benchmarking that shortly.
            There are others as well:

In my own testing this series significantly helps performance with small I/O sizes. I also got this email for Christmas this year from the kernel test robot (a 244% r/w bandwidth improvement with XFS over DAX, with 4k writes)

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              are SMR hard drives supposed to be used for anything but archiving?

Comment

Working...
              X