Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.16 Getting Tweak For Smarter Task Migration, Yielding Better Scalability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.16 Getting Tweak For Smarter Task Migration, Yielding Better Scalability

Phoronix: Linux 4.16 Getting Tweak For Smarter Task Migration, Yielding Better Scalability

Ingo Molnar began sending in his various Git pull requests this morning for targeting the Linux 4.16 kernel merge window, including the scheduler updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the IRq mod appears to be an excellent progress.

Comment

Its hearing about little changes like this that make me love Linux and open source software in general.

Comment

I hope that this patch isn't reversing a past performance improvement with heavily threaded workloads where the kernel was failing to migrate threads to idle cores outside the NUMA node. It being a one-line change makes me very suspicious... it can't possibly take into account whether there are idle cores if all it is testing is whether the caches are shared. Luckily the folks who fixed this in the first place have a large series of regression checks for the scheduler, along with some pretty graphs... I just wish I could remember the name of the project. Anyhow I trust Linus to reject anything that hurts SMP, and like Templar82 is saying, I love OSS because of these little changes, and because enough-eyes-make-all-bugs-shallow. :-)
        Last edited by linuxgeex; 02 February 2018, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
          Its hearing about little changes like this that make me love Linux and open source software in general.
          As opposed to having fun, lol!! Im barely playing skyrim because there are no games. i bought insurgency and it sucked, cs go sucks, cs 1.6 is ok, but nothing new.
          other than that i have nothing. and im not playing that puzzle game talos, or serious sam, im not 5 years old.
          maybe mafia 2 will bring me some joy, and old mass effect, eternally indebted to wine.

Comment

Working...
          X