Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.16 Is Tightening Up Access To /dev/mem By Default

Phoronix: Linux 4.16 Is Tightening Up Access To /dev/mem By Default

One of the security improvements to Linux 4.16 is improving the default behavior for restricted access to /dev/mem for x86/x86_64 and ARM64 systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What ever happened to "security people are f$cking morons", "don't break users", and "I don't trust security people to do sane things"?

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
      If you're paranoid about sleeper cell in caves on the other side of the planet demolishing skyscrapers with jet fuel, then you can enable all the Nazi stuff that makes you feel safe and secure.
      Name checks out.

Comment

Freedom should be the default.
        I'm afraid you didn't quite get the point. No one tells you can't flip that flag for your kernel and recompile it. You are still free to do whatever you want. It's just a default, because most users prefer a secure by default OS.

Now may be the time for me to switch to BSD and leave Linux behind for good.
        I'm afraid we won't miss you...

Comment

Don't Raspberry users need this access for device memory?

Comment

but obviously isn't wise keeping this feature disabled on production systems
            Michael

I guess you made a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Michael

I guess you made a mistake.
              Thanks. Cleared up the sentence.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Security through obscurity?

there are many ways that root can read memory. Hiding the obvious mechanism doesn’t stop that.

Comment

I've been running CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM=y since the beginning of 2012, with kernel 3.2.0. Prior to that the setting was available, but I hadn't been using it.

Comment

Now may be the time for me to switch to BSD and leave Linux behind for good.
                    don't wait, start now

Comment

Working...
                    X