Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ikey_solus View Post

Oh absolutely, it doesn't excuse us from having documentation

Technically you can do that, but we're going to do it in Solus via a notification system. User clicks the notification (which persists) which'll open the Software Center, which will in turn show the devices to be configured/installed. With the way that we do packaging of drivers, we expect them to be effectively zero configuration from the user side (and distros like Fedora also do the same kind of thing here). So basically it becomes a confirmation step from the notification, and then the user is sorted.

Beauty of course is that its entirely up to the distros/authors how they make use of the library and what those steps look like
    Thanks for your effort. I really appreciate it. I just have questions. What is the reason to use glib and c language ? From what I can see You really prefer c over c++ for your tools.
    Is that caused by reason or just You feel more comfortable with c

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

But it was not offering you that stuff for other hardware components, like input devices for example. Solus does now with Linux Driver Management.
      Yes, they do. Heck, it's even part of the RPM spec:

> https://www.suse.com/documentation/s...tml#sec.system

Comment

And lets say you're a new user - you're going to need to know what package is relevant for your hardware - if at all. Many users will end up installing the wrong thing, or not installing anything at all, and this leads to an incredibly poor user experience. Additionally, an OS should just know how to look after itself. If i plug a new device in and it needs drivers, my OS should tell me, I shouldn't need to hunt down arcane incantations for the terminal from some wiki.
        RPM does it already:

It constantly blows my mind why Solus never bothers to make any research before boasting they have invented something new.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          RPM does it already:

It constantly blows my mind why Solus never bothers to make any research before boasting they have invented something new.
          Well, they made a package-manager-agnostic system, for the inferior distros not using RPM packages. That's still something worth it.

That said, is this thing working at all? did you see it in action?

Comment

Originally posted by kalin View Post

Thanks for your effort. I really appreciate it. I just have questions. What is the reason to use glib and c language ? From what I can see You really prefer c over c++ for your tools.
            Is that caused by reason or just You feel more comfortable with c
            Hmh, he prefers C over C++, and often said that in the past. He is using C++ for new budgie though, and golang for ferryd.

Having no real preference for either C or C++, I do not see of which c++ features this tool could benefit...

Comment

Originally posted by KRiloshart View Post
              Solus is doing things that should have been done by major distros with resources like Ubuntu years ago. I like how solus doesn't polarize the community I wish Ubuntu had this simple sense.
              Solus was my distro of choice for a while, but I had two main gripes with it.

It took forever for Xorg 1.19 to be included in the default repos. According to a post, a developer had a problem with it on a multi-GPU laptop, but also said they didn't look into it any further than that and provided no further details aside from it wouldn't boot. I've used a few AMD/AMD and Intel/NVIDIA laptops with Xorg 1.19 for months without issue, so I can't really think what the problem could be. But in any case, I think Solus has Xorg 1.19 as of last month...

There's also no Wine Staging in default repos (it was there, but for some reason it was switched back to regular Wine abruptly; this was back before regular Wine had CSMT). And due to their policies, both regular Wine and Staging couldn't exist in the default repos. Iirc, the change was said to be because of users complaining that Staging had more bugs than regular, but I couldn't find any posts like that at the time.

Comment

My biggest issue with Solus is the lack of VNC and Virtual Machine clients.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post

RPM does it already:

so, let me get this straight with an analogy. you just pointed to a "rolling chassis" and said "hey look, we already have a car!".

This is mainly for a User Experience thing as far as I can tell. "Oh look, new hardware, looks like you could use some of these packages to use/configure it".

It looks like a nice addition that could be included easily by other distro's to suggest hardware specific software

Comment

If i plug a new device in and it needs drivers, my OS should tell me, I shouldn't need to hunt down arcane incantations for the terminal from some wiki.
                    i'm pretty sure that when i plugged in printer, fedora installed its drivers automatically, so at least for some devices it was working long ago. fedora already comes with videodrivers installed and i don't have fancy mouse to check what will happen if i plug it in

Comment

Originally posted by STiAT View Post
                      Having no real preference for either C or C++, I do not see of which c++ features this tool could benefit...
                      i guess you don't really know c++ then

Comment

Working...
                      X