Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better safe than sorry.

Comment

When you do these very regular updates with huge amounts of changes and new code being merged into every new version it's kind of a non-story if you end up having to delay a release when something very big and/or important gets merged. Considering the seriousness of the Meltdown and Spectre fixes I would have been genuinely surprised had 7 RCs been enough to release 4.15 in an acceptable state.

Also, no story about what Linus has been saying over the last few days about the quality of Intel's Meltdown patches kernel mailing? Or have we finally gotten used to his very clear and to-the-point way of talking?
      Last edited by L_A_G; 22 January 2018, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Not surprised one bit. There should be a whole month delay and that is only after heavy testing of the significant changes made.
        What for? It's distributions job to do heavy testing. I don't want Linux development to be slowed down even a bit. You slow it down you get bug reports and fixes later. Who will suffer from this? End users.
        Last edited by Guest; 22 January 2018, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
          begs the question, why doesnt the Great Man himself ( that being Linus ) do 9 RC's all the time? maybe the kernels wouldnt be so fucked if he did
          I don't even want to imagine how fucked the kernel would be, if he didn't flourish the magic wand he has.

Comment

I'm running Fedora 26/ mainline kernel 4.15rc9. Stii nothing shows up for displaypoirt under sound, shows up for HDMI but doesn't work

RX480/ Ryzen 1700X

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
              I'm running Fedora 26/ mainline kernel 4.15rc9. Stii nothing shows up for displaypoirt under sound, shows up for HDMI but doesn't work

RX480/ Ryzen 1700X
              That is my fear, because here soon my Intel based primary system will be based on Ryzen 5 2400G. I wont have a discrete GPU to install until at least Navi or Ampere, so I sure hope that 18.04 has a decent out of the box kernel for Ryzen Vega APU's, because my old 5870 card is getting retired at all costs this spring, even if I am forced to run windoz.

Comment

@SkOrPn

i had to reinstall for other reasons, display port still shows no sound, but hdmi sound works​
                I'm using Korora 26 with http://copr-fe.cloud.fedoraproject.o...inline-kernel/

It sounds like you use Ubuntu or Mint, you can use https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kernel-amdgpu-binaries or https://launchpad.net/~martin-babutz.../amdgpu-kernel

Comment

Working...
                X