Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.15 Goes Further Into Overtime: Linux 4.15-rc9

Phoronix: Linux 4.15 Goes Further Into Overtime: Linux 4.15-rc9

Linux 4.15 isn't happening today as planned: there's simply too much recent activity and some bugs known to be outstanding. As such, we're up to the ninth weekly release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

begs the question, why doesnt the Great Man himself ( that being Linus ) do 9 RC's all the time? maybe the kernels wouldnt be so fucked if he did

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      begs the question, why doesnt the Great Man himself ( that being Linus ) do 9 RC's all the time? maybe the kernels wouldnt be so fucked if he did
      Why not 10? Or heck, 11? How about 50 RCs? That would for sure make things better, right?

The obvious answer is that there's always a tradeoff involved in any decision.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Why not 10? Or heck, 11? How about 50 RCs? That would for sure make things better, right?

The obvious answer is that there's always a tradeoff involved in any decision.
        as long as he got the Major Bugs fixed during 9 RC's i'd be happy , the minor bugs can be fixed during a point release

Comment

Not surprised one bit. There should be a whole month delay and that is only after heavy testing of the significant changes made.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
            Why have RC's at all? Looks to me like Linus takes about two months no matter what and it's not like anyone but him gets to vote on the candidates...

Think I'll stick with RC8 for a while since everything's working with nVidia 384.111 and I don't need any more surprises. Heck, I might even skip the official release and go straight to 4.16-RC1 or RC2. 4.15 has no future anyway.
            what makes you think 4.16 will have a future?

Comment

I expected Linus to rename Fearless Coyote to something like Meltdowned Spectronious or even Kaiser re Trampolinicus Plus
              Last edited by dungeon; 21 January 2018, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                Why have RC's at all? Looks to me like Linus takes about two months no matter what and it's not like anyone but him gets to vote on the candidates...

Think I'll stick with RC8 for a while since everything's working with nVidia 384.111 and I don't need any more surprises. Heck, I might even skip the official release and go straight to 4.16-RC1 or RC2. 4.15 has no future anyway.
                it will be used by ubuntu 18.04 and next linux mint the most used distros out there but ok

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                  It's explained right in the article, in this case there was more activity and bugs than usual.

Comment

better safe than sorry. good think with opensource+free software is that there is no pressure and no penalty and even no fixed release date. You just release it when you think it is good enough! And I admire that, i dont rush to use bleeding edge.

Comment

Working...
                    X