Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.15 Goes Further Into Overtime: Linux 4.15-rc9

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 4.15 Goes Further Into Overtime: Linux 4.15-rc9

    Phoronix: Linux 4.15 Goes Further Into Overtime: Linux 4.15-rc9

    Linux 4.15 isn't happening today as planned: there's simply too much recent activity and some bugs known to be outstanding. As such, we're up to the ninth weekly release candidate...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...5-rc9-Released

  • #2
    begs the question, why doesnt the Great Man himself ( that being Linus ) do 9 RC's all the time? maybe the kernels wouldnt be so fucked if he did

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      begs the question, why doesnt the Great Man himself ( that being Linus ) do 9 RC's all the time? maybe the kernels wouldnt be so fucked if he did
      Why not 10? Or heck, 11? How about 50 RCs? That would for sure make things better, right?

      The obvious answer is that there's always a tradeoff involved in any decision.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

        Why not 10? Or heck, 11? How about 50 RCs? That would for sure make things better, right?

        The obvious answer is that there's always a tradeoff involved in any decision.
        as long as he got the Major Bugs fixed during 9 RC's i'd be happy , the minor bugs can be fixed during a point release

        Comment


        • #5
          Not surprised one bit. There should be a whole month delay and that is only after heavy testing of the significant changes made.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
            Why have RC's at all? Looks to me like Linus takes about two months no matter what and it's not like anyone but him gets to vote on the candidates...

            Think I'll stick with RC8 for a while since everything's working with nVidia 384.111 and I don't need any more surprises. Heck, I might even skip the official release and go straight to 4.16-RC1 or RC2. 4.15 has no future anyway.
            what makes you think 4.16 will have a future?

            Comment


            • #7
              I expected Linus to rename Fearless Coyote to something like Meltdowned Spectronious or even Kaiser re Trampolinicus Plus
              Last edited by dungeon; 01-21-2018, 10:43 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                Why have RC's at all? Looks to me like Linus takes about two months no matter what and it's not like anyone but him gets to vote on the candidates...

                Think I'll stick with RC8 for a while since everything's working with nVidia 384.111 and I don't need any more surprises. Heck, I might even skip the official release and go straight to 4.16-RC1 or RC2. 4.15 has no future anyway.
                it will be used by ubuntu 18.04 and next linux mint the most used distros out there but ok

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                  begs the question, why doesnt the Great Man himself ( that being Linus ) do 9 RC's all the time? maybe the kernels wouldnt be so fucked if he did
                  It's explained right in the article, in this case there was more activity and bugs than usual.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    better safe than sorry. good think with opensource+free software is that there is no pressure and no penalty and even no fixed release date. You just release it when you think it is good enough! And I admire that, i dont rush to use bleeding edge.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X